PARTING TOOLS

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
have one of those "7x14 chinese lathes that actually works pretty good "for what they are :guilty: only main problem is the motor is garbage and stalls out when parting tool is used........"and yes I know thier are mods for motor replacements..............but thats not the question here which is>>>>>>>>>.Ive always used those long single parting blades that slide in the tool holder and would like to try the ones that take a small treated cutter that fit in a special T.H.
so am thinking even tho the motor is garbage they might do a better job than the single blade type

What width of parting blade are you using?

Parting will always be difficult with a flimsy underpowered lathe, and insert parting tools will only cost money and break quite easily.

Parting will always be difficult with a flimsy underpowered lathe, and insert parting tools will only cost money and break quite easily.
sounds like I better stick with the single blade.................and yes inserts are what I was refering too........

You can't possibly part with a 1/2" wide parting tool on a mini lathe. Typical parting tools for a mini lathe are 4-5" long x 1/2" high x 1/16" wide. No mini lathe has the power to handle a 1/2" wide parting cutter. Using an 1/8" wide blade is tough on a mini, I know, I've tried it.

Back