PARTING TOOLS

If your lathe has the same type of controller as the Vevor lathe (or is a Vevor) then check post #16 of this thread under Asian lathes and mills:

Basic speed problems on a new VEVOR MX-7x14lathe​

a bit of adjustment on your speed control might restore some of the power you have been missing

Last edited:
OTOH, it's unlikely his machine has sufficient power to break an inserted tool.

Even with the thinnest available HSS blade, the combination of low power and lack of rigidity will always make parting challenging. This is the type of difficulty that motivates an upgrade of the motor, the tool post and, ultimately, to a better lathe.
yes the motor is the culprit!

I'm a beginner also, but FWIW:

I have a small lathe. When I have had trouble parting there have always been some fundamental issue that I overlooked.

- First and foremost being is the tip of the tool EXACTLY on center. I made a center height gauge because I found it hard to get a good sight angle using a center in the tail stock.

- Is the tool sharp?

- is the tool EXACTLY perpendicular to the work? I have cheap chinese tool holders. I had been aligning the cut off tool using the tool ho!der against the chuck. I noticed something weird about the cut. Checked it out and the tool holder wasn't aligning the tool with the holder. It was slightly cocked. That made a difference too.

- Stick out is your enemy.

- are your gibs adjusted? If you don't need the compound for the operation lock it down.

I made a hex die threading tool by parting off a chrome plated CroMoV socket once I got the above issues worked out. It parted with minimal drama once I had the above issues under control. So something is working for me.
already been thru all that , thanx anyway

I use(d) a 1.2 mm (3/64") HSS blade for many years on my mini lathe. With the tool mounted upside down, I have no problems in parting steel. A few years ago, I changed to SP200 inserts (could not buy that small blade again). I tried a few types and brands and now only use the SP200 PC9030 inserts from Korly (10 € / 10 pcs). I run at 800 RPM, 0.02 mm/rev (power feed) and use lubrication (no coolant). I use these inserts and conditions also on my bigger lathe.
I recently bougth a 2 mm wide HSS CO5 tapered blade. I expect that blade will do well but haven't found the time to make a tool holder.

On these small lathes with variable speed (DC) motors, you have to run at a decent speed to keep the motor in his torque range.

If your lathe has the same type of controller as the Vevor lathe (or is a Vevor) then check post #16 of this thread under Asian lathes and mills:

Basic speed problems on a new VEVOR MX-7x14lathe​

a bit of adjustment on your speed control might restore some of the power you have been missing

Back