Parts CL145C

I ran her for about 20 min. on low speed to see if the bearing caps would get hot, just above ambient. Then I ran her on high speed for about the same amount of time and the caps are just warm to the touch. She is going to be a pleasure to run and work with. There is just no comparison to her and the 9X20 Jet I have been using.

I would recomend you do a bearing lift test with a dial indicator to be sure you have adequate clearance for proper lube. My heavy 10 doesn't even get warm after prolonged turning sessions. If you disengage the belts so that the spindle turns freely can you give it a spin? Will it make a full revolution at least without stopping or dragging?

I would recomend you do a bearing lift test with a dial indicator to be sure you have adequate clearance for proper lube. My heavy 10 doesn't even get warm after prolonged turning sessions. If you disengage the belts so that the spindle turns freely can you give it a spin? Will it make a full revolution at least without stopping or dragging?

What is the acceptable number of revolutions for properly adjusted one?

What torque spec in ft-lbs you guys use for the bearing caps? I could not find one anywhere. Tight is too broad of a spec

It's not that a number of revolutions is how you set it, but it will tell if its tight and if its dragging or has restriction. I have a rebuild manual at home with the specs but I dont know what they are off the top of my head. What concerned me was that you said the bearing caps are getting warm.

A DTI is on my wish list at the moment. With the belt loose the spindle has no detectable dragging. I do have the rebuild manual along with a complete set of wicks which I will install when my business slows a bit. Hopefully i will have a DTI by then.

Back