pawn shop finds

There are a couple pawn shops near me, both owned by the same people. They always have outrageous prices on tools, I mean, I've seen them price some stuff at full list for new prices. they expect you to haggle, but when they are starting that high, it makes it tough to deal. I go in there and se stuff that they have had in inventory over a year or more :nuts:

Some how they must be still making money I guess…..

Steve.

Pawn shop owners don't give a rat about what's out front, it's what is on the shelves in the back room that's making them the money (20% per month here in Montana)

Dennis

Pawn shop owners don't give a rat about what's out front, it's what is on the shelves in the back room that's making them the money (20% per month here in Montana)

Dennis

I figured there was an angle like that. Also, they buy gold, and pay some of the lowest prices in our area, but they still get people selling to them. You could walk in looking like a strung out meth head, with a jewelry box you just stole down the street. As long as you produce a valid ID, they'll buy. Just like the scrap yards.

Step 1: Get high
Step 2: Break into a house, or rip copper pipes out of a vacant home.
Step 3:proceed to pawn shop, or scrap yard to sell stolen goods
Step 4: Use money from stolen goods sale to buy drugs
Step 5: (See step 1)

But, to get back on topic, I have to admit, every once in a while, I've talked my way into a decent deal on something I needed. I once bought a Titan professional paint sprayer at a pawn shop. Thing looked brand new, and when I was building my house, reused it a lot. I mostly operate under the idea that if it's not a "great deal", I'll pass it up, until another deal comes along……and one always does.

Steve,step 5 should be "Rinse and repeat".:):):)

I was in a music store,and saw a young guy who was not high,walk in with a Marshall speaker cabinet(worth quite a bit),and sell it to them for $20.00. It had to have been stolen. Dense as I was,it took a while for me to realize it must have been stolen.

Last edited:
While spending quality time with my wife, I found this Brown & Sharpe set for $50.00 in an antique shop in PA.

IMGP1949.JPG

The moral of the story is: When your wife wants you to spend time with her, do it! It may be a rewarding experience.

IMGP1949.JPG

i have that exact same B&S set minus the DTI, but with a neat little 6"scale. 50 is a steal for that, i should buy a DTI to complete the set... nah I'm too cheap)

Was in a PS today, looking at some overpriced miss, then spotted a medium sized un-priced spanner wrench, told the guy I'd give him $3 for it, and he didn't even squabble. I had bought a larger one for a $1 at the flea market last weekend, and figured why not get one to keep the first one company. I don't think he even knew what it was for. This is the type I bought:

Spanner-Wrench-for-Light-Racing-and-Icon-Coilovers.jpg

Spanner-Wrench-for-Light-Racing-and-Icon-Coilovers.jpg

Was in a PS today, looking at some overpriced miss, then spotted a medium sized un-priced spanner wrench, told the guy I'd give him $3 for it, and he didn't even squabble. I had bought a larger one for a $1 at the flea market last weekend, and figured why not get one to keep the first one company. I don't think he even knew what it was for. This is the type I bought:

View attachment 72747

I just finished making a couple of those out of worn-out channel-lock pliers.

While spending quality time with my wife, I found this Brown & Sharpe set for $50.00 in an antique shop in PA.

View attachment 72672

The moral of the story is: When your wife wants you to spend time with her, do it! It may be a rewarding experience.

SCORE!!!!

You done good Grasshopper.

Back