Pay cash or pass?

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I made a trip to my favorite tooling surplus place just for fun. The pickings were slim but I did find a couple odd gems. $5 a pound so not expensive to pick up odds and ends.

Would you buy or pass?

20231226_145636.jpg

20231226_134900.jpg
I may never see a British Whitworth pipe fitting in my life but I have one if I do! Cost around $2 and is brand new. USA made. I'm glad I bought it.

This one is a complete mystery. No markings. 0.773 at the thickest over the thread. 7 tpi. I figured what the heck! Lol!

20231226_150448.jpg

I also bought a brand new 1 3/8-6, a 1 1/4-9, 1 1/8-8, and a few others. Only picking new or near perfect taps.

I skipped on a few really big taps because I knew I'd turn my little mill before I could produce enough torque to make them cut. I'll most likely never buy anything over 1.5". Stll, hard to pass on a new $300 tap for $5 to $10.

All of my bigger taps were bought surplus. That way I have lots of mostly USA made quality taps for pennies on the dollar. Most are new or like new.

Sounds like you got some good buys. If you only ever have to use one, you got your money’s worth.

I would have a hard time passing, even on the bigger ones.

But, I will also admit, if I’m working on the lathe, I tend to single point with boring bars, anything over 1”, even if I have the taps available. My coworker, though not so much. He looks for the tap first. I don’t like giving my arms the workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That first one looks really sharp, new.
The second looks like an ACME tap. But it's probably not, since it looks like it cuts a wide V. Not a clue what it is..

I would take them all and start listing them on eBay. A tap like that could easily bring $30-$40 from the guy who needs it.

I'm with you, I will single-point anything an inch and over, even if I have the tap. I had to tap some 3/4 npt in stainless a while back. That was a workout I don't care to repeat.

I would take them all and start listing them on eBay. A tap like that could easily bring $30-$40 from the guy who needs it.

I'm with you, I will single-point anything an inch and over, even if I have the tap. I had to tap some 3/4 npt in stainless a while back. That was a workout I don't care to repeat.
I would definitely single point anything over 1" if I'm on my lathe. I have ratchet adapters for my taps but they aren't going to help once you're that big.

Those hug taps are nice for cleaning up threads. Maybe I'll grab a few of the larger sizes next time if they are still there.

Screenshot_20231226_161338_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not the same brand, but the same quality as the new 1 3/8-6 I bought today for $5. Not too bad.

I have a problem with big taps. I have a tap wrench for them, but the biggest problem is holding the material. They generate so much torque they slip in the collets, and if I put them in a vise, same deal if round. Even with a V block or other things to assist, any thing will leave deep cuts in the material if it has teeth. So mostly I single point, or start it with single and finish (if possible using taps). It sucks having them and not using them much, or the wrenches...

I have purchased a lot of taps on auctions and resold them on eBay. All of them were new and in original packaging. I find that I can get about 30% or so of the new price.

Back