Peeling paint

Swarthy

Registered
Registered
Any good ideas for a shop with peeling paint with smoke from welder, dust from grinding. etc. small shop packed to the top with tools and equipment.
Can't paint on grease oil smoke. aluminum checker plate ?

Can't paint on dirt and grime - yes you can, but it won't last. Got to clean the walls and ceiling.

Painting is the easy part. Cleaning and getting stuff out of the way is what takes time - especially if things are packed. Wish I knew an easy way, because I would do it for myself. Maybe get a storage pod to move everything into, then paint?

Move everything out. Address the paint prep and spray a coat of primer followed by a coat of white.
Get help with organization i.e. 5 S, study Japanese kanzi events (I know I don't know how to spell) they have put incredible amount of time and effort into ergonomics organization productivity
Move everything back in with the map you made after watching above mentioned topics.
The way they taught us is to map before you start the project and anyone should be able to put it back.
This also gets you to look at everything and evaluate its future.
I have started but I have a similar condition and the equipment is just to much to "stick " outside for a day.
Instead of having three spots with widgets I am at the point of only having one bin location for widgets.
A company that I worked for spent a year in the process.
Yes when done It's totally worth it.
No matter what you need some helpers

In a twelve hour shift my team mate and I would pressure wash a section, use fans and heaters blowing. Take a break 15-20
Go back out and shoot a coat of primer.
Eat lunch then go back out and shoot a coat of white. Clean our stuff and the area up. We would have about half an hour of ash time before the end of shift.

5S is the way to go, look it up.
It is what made Toyota so profitable and efficient.

Fresh white paint makes a huge difference on lighting, worth it. But the prep work is very time consuming or it will all peel. If the grime & oil have soaked in, it may be far easier to cover it with some sheet material. At my commercial shop we have been cutting a 2mm white plastic to size to cover all the walls in a drug manufacturing place. 100s of sheets every few weeks. The tags on it say fire resistant. Gloss finish.

Any good ideas for a shop with peeling paint with smoke from welder, dust from grinding. etc. small shop packed to the top with tools and equipment.
Can't paint on grease oil smoke. aluminum checker plate ?
What is tge wall construction? CMU? Steel? Drywall?

Polywall or frp panels

Last edited:
Back