Peeling paint

TSP or tri-sodium phosphate is a powerful degreaser and cleaner used for preparing a surface before painting. (Small box is more than sufficient)

It will eat the oil and smoke and should only be handled with rubber gloves. It WILL dissolve your fingernails and your skin.

When rinsed off, apply a primer and then paint. Your paint job will last a long time.

Follow package directions....but a stronger concentration of dissolved TSP can work with pressure washers too.

Pick up some masonite, paint the dull side white, and staple it up. Using the dull side means better diffusion of whatever light you have. Masonite is cheap (relatively). Bonus points if you can later use it on your workbench tops, but it should go for years. No machinery moving, no masking off your entire shop, etc.

GsT

I Don't have down time. I have a permanently posted sign next to an oversized clock ( WE ARE ALWAYS BUSSY). In my area, building permits are ONLY for large corporations, 5 years wait for permits, then you can only use for storage. Or they make you tear it down. Due to off shore investors all land is over priced, A million for a shack on unusable land.

I think I will go with sound absorbing panels. No shut down, staple in place cut out where needed.

i use a wood dust collector to suck up the fumes and smoke. ( thats the tubing you see on the wall) so not much smoke or dust. And in southern Ontario its scorching summers and freezing winters so i use a old house oil furnace with air conditioning. the filter catches most of the dust and smoke that doe sent get sucked up the exhaust.
I used a 2 hp wood dust collector bolted to the outside wall some tubing and just blow the smoke outside. I weld hydraulic tubing and rods on the lathe all the time. I have some sound absorbing panels i used to quiet my change up gear door. I think its the best solution to put some around the open areas on the back wall behind the lathe.
The ceiling i plan on using a air less paint sprayer. it's clean never painted.

Attachments

• crane 1.jpg
    crane 1.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 3
Back