Pencil Grinder Recommendation?

Just looked up the Dumore. Holy crap--$2800 for the 33k RPM kit!

I think you'll find some models that are less expensive. Check out eBay for deals.

I'd have to check and see the part number for mine, but it looks like the one here, including the case and stones:

Maybe I got really lucky, but I got mine on eBay for around $100 and it was like new. Had one stone that looked like it had been used.

In this post, you can see me using it as a quick setup tool post grinder in my lathe. I have a really nice TP grinder, but for quick jobs this is faster, easier and for some things just plain works better!

Ted

I use the m12 rotary tool most of the time these days

View attachment 333062
I had no idea that Milwaukee M12 grinder even existed, it looks so versatile, what is the power or vibration at high speed like? they are not that expensive either, HD Canada sells them for $70 . Is there any negative comments ?

I had no idea that Milwaukee M12 grinder even existed, it looks so versatile, what is the power or vibration at high speed like? they are not that expensive either, HD Canada sells them for $70 . Is there any negative comments ?

I’ve been happy with mine. They can get hot pretty quick under heavy loads.

It’s a no brainer if you are already have M12 tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of the M12 grinders, as well as several Dremels.

M12 advantages -
No cord!
Good power, variable speed
Takes the same tooling/bits as the Dremel
Stands on end

M12 disadvantages -
Larger and clunkier than a Dremel - you can't hold it like a pencil, so very fine work can be a challenge

I'm a long time Dremel guy & work them hard. Because I have other Milwaukee M12 tools, so batteries & chargers on hand I decided to try the cordless grinder. Its a decently solid unit & reasonably priced. My Dremel cordless speed control is a bit iffy in the low range, its not as progressive as the Milwaukee. I rarely use the top rpm because most of the time you are burning something & I personally dont think the bearings are up to the task in any of these. The Dremel accessories fit the Milwaukee (thread). A useful one to get is the chuck because shank sizes vary a lot & swapping collets is kind of PITA. Some of the clone chucks are garbage so beware (lots of runout & iffy jaws). Anyways I'd by another Milwaukee. I think their tools are great value. It is a bit heavier & taller than Dremel.

Attachments

• SNAG-8-15-2020 0001.jpg
    SNAG-8-15-2020 0001.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 10
I'm a long time Dremel guy & work them hard. Because I have other Milwaukee M12 tools, so batteries & chargers on hand I decided to try the cordless grinder. Its a decently solid unit & reasonably priced. My Dremel cordless speed control is a bit iffy in the low range, its not as progressive as the Milwaukee. I rarely use the top rpm because most of the time you are burning something & I personally dont think the bearings are up to the task in any of these. The Dremel accessories fit the Milwaukee (thread). A useful one to get is the chuck because shank sizes vary a lot & swapping collets is kind of PITA. Some of the clone chucks are garbage so beware (lots of runout & iffy jaws). Anyways I'd by another Milwaukee. I think their tools are great value. It is a bit heavier & taller than Dremel.
Do you also own or use a flex shaft rotary tool? if so what do you think of this Foredom SR flexshaft machine? it a copy of the USA made Foredom but at half the price: I am actually looking for a decent price on the real US ones but the price is tempting:

No I don't own a flex shaft. But I have been checking out different models. I saw some Foredom's in action at a demo wood carving class once that was going on. I was impressed with what they were doing.. or maybe what they were not doing - bogging down with deeper cuts using carbide burrs. Seemed like lots of control & lighter weight, although the motor has to be kind of situated a certain way. Not quite as simple as pull the cordless unit out.

You guys are right, it is a rabbit hole. Lots of different kinds of flex shaft, speed control, motor options, collet systems...

I've seen that clone you have referred to (or ones like it). You just know they have cut corners somewhere. The question is where & would one notice it & to what degree.

I found these videos kind of interesting. Shows some alternative non-flex shaft rotary tools. Wallet alert! And I believe there are low price 'clones' of those too, so the field of choices, pros & cons can get a bit deeper.

Second video you can the Foredom in action by comparison. I know from experience I could not hog material like that with my Dremel. The Foredom is lower max rpm but I suspect its electric motor thing - its more about what kind of torque can it deliver at that rpm. I suspect the Dremel motor winding result sin them being kind of anemic at lower rpm, the power is more at higher rpms. But you may or may not want to be operating at higher rpms for whatever reason. Maybe that's what the (first vid) variable rpm digital 'boxes' are about - optimizing torque with rpm kind of like a VFD in principle? I really don't know. I think they are for serious carvers & generally looks like the collet range is quite limited to the smaller shanks. One thing we didn't discuss on Foredom is they can handle 1/4" shank tools (with the correct hand piece/collet) & they visually seem to have the power to use them. So depending on the work, that is a plus. Third vid. They can integrate reciprocating chisel action carving hand piece accessory which is interesting. Not up my alley but cool how they convert rotation to stroke and it kind of senses the natural push action

I found these videos kind of interesting. Shows some alternative non-flex shaft rotary tools. Wallet alert! And I believe there are low price 'clones' of those too, so the field of choices, pros & cons can get a bit deeper.

Second video you can the Foredom in action by comparison. I know from experience I could not hog material like that with my Dremel. The Foredom is lower max rpm but I suspect its electric motor thing - its more about what kind of torque can it deliver at that rpm. I suspect the Dremel motor winding result sin them being kind of anemic at lower rpm, the power is more at higher rpms. But you may or may not want to be operating at higher rpms for whatever reason. Maybe that's what the (first vid) variable rpm digital 'boxes' are about - optimizing torque with rpm kind of like a VFD in principle? I really don't know. I think they are for serious carvers & generally looks like the collet range is quite limited to the smaller shanks. One thing we didn't discuss on Foredom is they can handle 1/4" shank tools (with the correct hand piece/collet) & they visually seem to have the power to use them. So depending on the work, that is a plus. Third vid. They can integrate reciprocating chisel action carving hand piece accessory which is interesting. Not up my alley but cool how they convert rotation to stroke and it kind of senses the natural push action

Yeah those micromotors are the bomb-diggety, but get expensive fast, especially the Foredom models. I have a Dremel 4300 coming. I think it will meet my needs pretty well.

You're right about the Foredom shaft motors--much higher torque, lower RPM, great for hogging out wood with aggressive bits. The micromotors are more for jewelry and finer finishing, I think.

Back