Phase a Matic R-5 used for $500 good deal?

I too have been happy with my static converter. Use it on my mill now but have run a lathe off one previously and never lacked for power.

I did set up a rotary converter but didn’t like the extra noise. Now I just flip on the static and I’m ready to go.

I can see if you have a shop running multiple machines at the same time. Or, if you have higher hp machines it would be better. But the static converters are cheap and efficient for my needs.

I have mine mounted to the wall with an outlet so can use it on both the mills I have, wouldn’t think of converting the Hardinge to VFD with its cool camshaft actuated controls.

John

Here are the machines in my shop running off static converters. I did forget to mention the newest addition the Baileigh cold saw has a 3 hp 3-phase motor but runs on its own built in VFD.

Attachments

• DSC00012.JPG
    DSC00012.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    436.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF8041.JPG
    DSCF8041.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 32
I see the Phase O Matic R5 is sized to handle a 3 hp motor so it is overpriced for that small of a unit. If going to the effort of wiring in a RPC, I'd want a larger one. Same work, more flexibility. I've got machines up to 30hp and find I've used it all at times so I'm an outlier in wanting more power.

Dave

Thoughts on this ad please? Thank you in advance. They're asking $500.
They use a Baldor motor and cut off the shaft.
Most machine tools you start upto 10 hp. To ad capacity just a second 5 hp motor. Start converter then ad the second 5 hp. Now you can run larger motors.

Dave

I too have been running a static phase converter for 30 years. Same one phase-O-Matic 3 hp. I too just have a plug to swap out my mill and lathe. I have never needed more. This is my hobby shop so I am in no hurry.

I am looking into getting a phaseperfect simple 5hp. As I will be adopting a larger lathe with a 3hp motor. I will try my static converter first.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I have used all three systems, Static, Rotary and VFD. Each has its pros and cons.
I ran my South Bend H10 off a Static for years, never had a lack of power despite it only having a ¾ HP motor, meaning I was only really getting ½ HP. It came with the lathe so no additional cost and one could be easily made for about $20. However, it didn't run as smoothly as it now does off the rotary. Also, there was alway an annoying hum from the static converter.

I built my own Rotary converter out of a 7.5 HP motor, a few capacitors and relays. It works perfectly, the machines run smooth and deliver full power. It currently powers 2 lathes and a washing machine though I plan to add a drill press and switch over my compressor, when I have the time. I suppose the only cons are the sound of the idler motor running in the background (Though it is not at all objectionable to me) and the added expense.

My Mill, a Drill Press and Air Compressor run of VFD's. They offer the most control over the motor as that is what they are designed to do. You get, speed control, soft start, braking, overload protection, torque limiting and other features. Phase conversion is only 1 feature of VFD and often not even used. Many industrial machines use VFDs even though they are supplied with real 3 phase power.
The cons are the expense and the need to rewire the machine.

So the right choice is what works best for your machines, needs and budget.

Thoughts on this ad please? Thank you in advance. They're asking $500.
I built my first phase converter to run my lathe for about $175. I got the 7 hp motor for free. I put the idler motor outside the back wall of my shop so it is very quiet.
I built another one for a friend of mine for about $200. Got the 5 hp motor for $50.
For both of them I bought the kit from the link below.
The kits came with simple instructions and all the parts needed except the enclosure box to put them in. I am not an electric guru but it was easy.
I am real glad I went with an RPC because since I got the lathe I have acquired 5 more three phase machines and can run any of them off of that one RPC.
Photo shows the one I built for my friend.

Attachments

• 1182024101125.jpg
    1182024101125.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 31
Thank you folks I may give the diy RPC a try. I have 10 big 3 phase motors i got dirt cheap that I was going to refurb. IIRC they are 440v. Will that work for 220 3~ to 1~ ?

Back