Phase a Matic R-5 used for $500 good deal?

Will this motor work for one of the diy kits? It's 3~ 330v. Can someone link me to a diy RPC kit they recommend for it if it will work? I see WNY has one for 240v. Thank you.

By the way Thank you for the wny link and info Ultradog!

Attachments

• PXL_20240220_211538435~3.jpg
    PXL_20240220_211538435~3.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thank you folks I may give the diy RPC a try. I have 10 big 3 phase motors i got dirt cheap that I was going to refurb. IIRC they are 440v. Will that work for 220 3~ to 1~ ?
Again, I am no electric guru but I know lot of 3 phase motors can be switched from 220 to 440 V. But not all of them can.
You would need to look at the wiring diagram - usually on a name plate on the motor or under the cover of the connection box.
I doubt you can run a strictly 440V motor on 220 but will let the smart guys here weigh in on that.

I have used all three systems, Static, Rotary and VFD. Each has its pros and cons.
I ran my South Bend H10 off a Static for years, never had a lack of power despite it only having a ¾ HP motor, meaning I was only really getting ½ HP. It came with the lathe so no additional cost and one could be easily made for about $20. However, it didn't run as smoothly as it now does off the rotary. Also, there was alway an annoying hum from the static converter.

I built my own Rotary converter out of a 7.5 HP motor, a few capacitors and relays. It works perfectly, the machines run smooth and deliver full power. It currently powers 2 lathes and a washing machine though I plan to add a drill press and switch over my compressor, when I have the time. I suppose the only cons are the sound of the idler motor running in the background (Though it is not at all objectionable to me) and the added expense.

My Mill, a Drill Press and Air Compressor run of VFD's. They offer the most control over the motor as that is what they are designed to do. You get, speed control, soft start, braking, overload protection, torque limiting and other features. Phase conversion is only 1 feature of VFD and often not even used. Many industrial machines use VFDs even though they are supplied with real 3 phase power.
The cons are the expense and the need to rewire the machine.

So the right choice is what works best for your machines, needs and budget.
So, a 3 phase washing machine?

You must have some dirty, dirty clotheso_O

Must see a picture of this unit....

John

So, a 3 phase washing machine?

You must have some dirty, dirty clotheso_O

Must see a picture of this unit....

John
Lol, Yeah between my profession in construction, my shop and all the other dirty chores I do around here, my clothes do get a proper soiling. With that and my penchant for industrial machinery, plus having three phase power at the ready, it was a no brainer to get a commercial washer. Picked it up in North Jersey for $200, all it needed was a new belt.
Wascomat  - 1.jpeg

Back