Philips #0 & #1 Screw Drivers - Need Some New Ones

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a rather large collection of screw drivers accumulated over the years, some purchased new, some used and some inherited. Today I was in search of a #1 Philips and I came to the realization that I didn't own a single one in decent shape. I have some older Stanley and Craftsman that served me well but they are probably 30+ years old. My newer Stanely and Craftsman aren't so good. None of the newer ones seem to last and many of the newer #0 and #1 Philips seem to be ground with the end more pointy than it should be. So here is the question where can I find decent #0 and #1 Philips screwdrivers.

Home Depot carries Kline, my favorite. In the electrical section, not tools.

Snap On Tools , Matco Tools, Mac Tools, Cornwell Tools all make good professional sets that are kinda on the expensive side,
But well worth the extra $$$.

Craftsman used to have a professional line of screwdrivers that were decent
Milwaukee has a decent set of screwdrivers at Home Depot
Dewalt has decent, but soft, screwdrivers
The Klein screwdrivers Jim mentioned above are another good choice

i use a lot of power driver inserts, mainly, i use Dewalt heavy duty drywall bits
the milwaukee power bits are pretty nice too

I would suggest JIS drivers from Vessel Tools. Unlike Phillips drivers, JIS drivers are designed NOT to cam out and they are very good quality drivers. I own the Motorcycle set that comes with both the cross point and flat drivers in the typical sizes. This set also includes a cross point impact screwdriver that works really well. I also have their hand Impact Driver set - just excellent!

Here is a link to the JIS pattern discussion on their site: http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-too...se-industrial-standard/view-all-products.html

And here is a selection of drivers: http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers/screwdriver-sets/view-all-products.html

I really like this hand impact driver with JIS bits. I have yet to find a screw that wouldn't come loose with this bad boy. It has a 1/2" square drive so your sockets will fit on the tool: http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers/impact/240001/flypage.tpl.html

The cost is not too bad for quality tools - give them a try.

The thing with screwdrivers, even the very best, Wera, are not that much more expensive. And with Philips, only the best is almost good enough.

I have found that it isn't the make or quality of the Phillips screwdriver that makes the difference; its the design. Phillips drivers are made to cam out rather than totally strip the fastener. JIS is made to NOT cam out. Try it - you'll be pleasantly surprised. They work fine on Japanese and other screws made to the Phillips standard.

Last edited:
G'Day Fellas,
Down here in Oz you only have two choices, crap or German, as a field service tech my Phillips head screwdrivers are in constant use and if I buy crap they are lucky to last six weeks , German Stahl Wille or Bahco screwdrivers which cost 4 times the price of crap last 2 - 3 years and don't leave a trail of damaged screw heads behind me .
Regards,
Martin

Back