Photos Of Old Workshop 100 Years Ago

The thing I note is that people had jobs - now in Australia we have lots of lawyers and politicians but less and less folks with real jobs making the world a better place. Oh that's right, its Chinese people who have the real jobs now - silly me.

somewhere around 1964 I went into an old shop in Cleveland Ohio "Fanner Mfg" to install a vending machine, and was fascinated to see the shafting in the rafters and one shaft still turning, running a ginormous forge at the end of the building. I wonder who else has actually seen or worked on that stuff....or if any is still in use anywhere??

Juceclone,

I had a working lifetime which spanned the era 1954 till 1998, So guess it was getting on for half a century, I would most likely have worked on for another few years, but illness precluded that , come to think on it by then I was getting thoroughly fed up with the so called workshop mentality which had by and then not crept in but came in like a gale, brotherly harmony and a workshop feel good factor was, Well not quite like that of the old workers of the 1950/s through to the early seventies ! But lets not moan and get back to some of the old shops I remember.

The town and area where i began my working life had an extremely nice old well equiped maintenance shop, belonging to the local harbor authority, The whole plant being driven from overhead line shafting, It was a reasonable peaceful place not much sound from the overhead line shafting which leisurely spun round at about 140 revs/minute, only the slight swish of the belts on the pulleys, The belts were not tight but seemed to sort of hug the pulleys and give an excellent drive, plus the clicking of the belt lacings, When the turner wished to change his belt from one step of the speed cone to the other, he used a belt stick,and nudged the belt over on to the next step on his cone down a speed & then flicked the other side of the belt & low and behold it would change over on to the corresponding cone on the lathe counter shaft above his head, When he wanted to stop or start his machine he pulled on one off two" skipping rope" handles hanging on ropes either of which was designed to operate a simple mechanism throwing the belt from the main line shafting driving pulley to either a "fast & loose pulley" on the lathes counter shaft, All this control going on well above his head.

On these old lathes if the poor old thing had not been beaten to death too much, when in back gear one got a rumble from the head stock, and in some cases a slight ringing sound from the change gears, Another thing that springs to mind was a slight smell of Archangel tar, this was from a weird and wonderful concoction known as "Gandy Belt Dressing"
used to stop the belts slipping under the load, In these old shops another machine which gave quite a rumble from the machine gearing was the planing machine, coupled with a rhythmic click when the kickers changed the machine's table direction.
As can be imagined the bigger the plant the more the noise , Tw of the old marine engine building shops in the Clyde area each still had a big vertical wall slotting machine, These old machines had in the case of one of the shops was capable of a planing cut of twenty five foot in length, They looked like big lathe beds bolted to the shop pillar, and had travelling on their slides a big saddle carrying the cutting tool which could be fed in an in or out configuration depending on the depth of cut the machine operator wished to adjust to The workpiece was bolted to a movable table wich could move longitudinally from left to right or vice-versa with a synchronizing feed from the tool block

The big cutting tool block was driven down on its cutting mode by a big lead screw which was controlled from a fast & loose pulley arrangement driving three big bevel gears on the reverse of the screw one got a lovely loud gear rattle, These powerful big machines could easily plane up a big marine engine bed, tied on its table on a huge pair of angle plates, The whole ethos of these old machines was a privilege to see, As the concept of these big things was from the fruitful mind of William Murdock a Scotsman who was the works manager of the steam engine works of James Watt in the early 1800/s The last of these machines worked in this area until 1980
I remember also an old crane works whose big face plate lathe was underneath the drawing office What a rumble that gave throughout the establishment , Kept the guys awake!

core-oil, very nice write and explanation of you old shop. thanks for sharing. Bob

Great remembrances, core-oil. Thanks for letting us in on them. I've also got a question and maybe you're the perfect person to ask: I was watching a video not long ago and there was a line shaft in operation. I get the whole slack-loose pulley thing, but also on each section of rotating shaft was a loose fitting ring for lack of a better word. Looked like it was maybe 4" or so in diameter on a maybe 2" line shaft, and it just kind of wobbled and oscillated back and forth as the shaft turned. It wasn't connected to anything, it just kind of randomly floated around up there. What was the purpose of those? Distributing oil between the bearings along the shaft, or something like that? Stop birds from roosting? (Ha ha) Any ideas?

-frank

Great remembrances, core-oil. Thanks for letting us in on them. I've also got a question and maybe you're the perfect person to ask: I was watching a video not long ago and there was a line shaft in operation. I get the whole slack-loose pulley thing, but also on each section of rotating shaft was a loose fitting ring for lack of a better word. Looked like it was maybe 4" or so in diameter on a maybe 2" line shaft, and it just kind of wobbled and oscillated back and forth as the shaft turned. It wasn't connected to anything, it just kind of randomly floated around up there. What was the purpose of those? Distributing oil between the bearings along the shaft, or something like that? Stop birds from roosting? (Ha ha) Any ideas?

-frank

From my understanding those rings kept the shafts clean and dry thus avoiding rust and facilitating future ease of maintenance. That was the explanation from a local machinist who had a shop with line shafting powered in warm months with 3 phase power and in Winter with live steam that also heated the shop.

From my understanding those rings kept the shafts clean and dry thus avoiding rust and facilitating future ease of maintenance. That was the explanation from a local machinist who had a shop with line shafting powered in warm months with 3 phase power and in Winter with live steam that also heated the shop.
Uncle Harry,

Glad you reminded us all about the little rings floating along the line shaft as it revolved , Cleaning rings to dust off any build up of rubbish & dust, On one line shaft driving system I remember, there was on the longest section of shaft, between the bearing hangers and pulley wheel two little rings which used to float along from the extremities of the shaft , gently collide in the middle and proceed outwards again , These little rings gave out a lovely tinkling sound which was melodious, ( A sound from a pleasanter and more peaceful age)

Watched a video recently of a current overhead shaft driven shop and the leather rings traveling up and down were referred to by the owner as shaft mice. Mike

Back in the middle 1970s one of my first apprenticeship shops or jobs guess we had an ancient boring mill with overhead flat belt drive but was run with an electric antique motor mounted on the floor to the left of the mill. Guess who had the pleasure of running and maintaining her . YUPP the big strong young guy fresh out of vocational school. I used that mill and an open sided planer to bore and size bearing blocks for a steel mill in Pennsylvania. YUPP the old mill flattered and sang its own song on many seventy hour work weeks for me . Plus boring plates 4' square by 1" thick all day long loading and unloading by hand
I don't know how much they weighted but let me tell you by the end of a twelve hrs shift I was friggin pooped. That got old after a few years so I found another job at more pay and only 5 hours overtime required. I was in heaven no more bracket my back a crane full length of the building , after six months I was made second shift Forman , I worked hard to get it and hard to stay there. But enough story time those old machines could turn out very close tolerance parts is why I chimed in. The old mill is probably gone now just like lots of good things from the good old days. How did I ever get this old.

Back