Picked An Sb 10 Today

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
It's all there, turns, cross slide and compound work, runs back and forth on the lead screw. Usual accessories; three jaw, four jaw, rests, etc. That's the good news. Now the bad: it is filthy with encrusted dirt, grease,and rust. I just might have to learn scraping.

But for a $100.00 why not?

Maybe it is a "Heavy Ten". How would I tell?

The hole thru the spindle is 1"+, if the spindle hole is 3/4" or thereabouts, it's not a heavy ten

Oh, and congrats, but no pics, it didn't happen!

Thanks. When I pick it up I'll measure the hole and let you know. I'll post some pics but they won't be pretty.

Thanks. When I pick it up I'll measure the hole and let you know. I'll post some pics but they won't be pretty.
Post 'em! Then when you have it cleaned up, post the "after" photos, and all of us will admire them that much more.

Congrats on the "new" lathe!

No matter the condition, for $100 it's a good deal.
It will be a great learner machine. Restoration skills you learn on it will be very valuable.

Absolute worst case you could part it out and make money!

-brino

Won't be the first machine I have restored but it will be the first lathe. The most difficult was my Bridgeport head.

I had air conditioning installed in my shop so I can use it year round. anyone familiar with Grants Pass in the summer can appreciate that.

I have three other lathes so I'm not in any hurry to get this up and turning. With all the other work maintaining vineyard equipment this could easily take a year.

....we restore no lathe before it's time! ;)

-brino

Anytime you save old iron from the scrap mongers is a good time. Glad you step in the good stuff. Keep us up on it and post pics.

Anytime you save old iron from the scrap mongers is a good time. Glad you step in the good stuff. Keep us up on it and post pics.

...and this one was inches away from the scrap heap. He told me he had scrapped an old Bridgeport and was about to do this. Forgot to mention that he had a very old power hacksaw that he threw in for fifty bucks (I might have overpaid for that). That makes three power hacksaws, one rebuilt and running and two in line. My winter projects are lined up. The Wife says I have a "problem". Now what the hell does that mean?

Way to go Matt, I to kinda think I have the same problem. I'm working on a bench for my mill and have two saws to work on a power hacksaw and a Rockwell delta 7 V bandsaw. Plus have some honey do projects that I'm unable to do myself. Anybody else have a hard time finding people willing to work?

Back