Picked An Sb 10 Today

Way to go Matt, I to kinda think I have the same problem. I'm working on a bench for my mill and have two saws to work on a power hacksaw and a Rockwell delta 7 V bandsaw. Plus have some honey do projects that I'm unable to do myself. Anybody else have a hard time finding people willing to work?

My immediate problem is finishing a 12hp 1940's Witte diesel and moving it to the warehouse. It's been in custody since February and is running but I'm trying to hook up a 6hp Briggs for a starter motor. I'm thinking on using it to power a remote irrigation pump and I don't want an electric starting system (which it had).

There's a wick kit and book on ebay that shows step by step for 10 heavy and 9 dismantling all the way apart. I did that and my 9A wwas gunky like oily sawdust. Took me about a month to do since I was new to machinery and had trouble removing taper pins until I found out to do it with soft metal after F'ing some up. It's together and running nicely for last 2 years and put a V belt on it replacing leather one and made all sorts of fixtures for it; never painted it; original chipped paint so not a refurb; just a good cleaning; I don't like new and shiny things in my garage

There's a wick kit and book on ebay that shows step by step for 10 heavy and 9 dismantling all the way apart. I did that and my 9A wwas gunky like oily sawdust. Took me about a month to do since I was new to machinery and had trouble removing taper pins until I found out to do it with soft metal after F'ing some up. It's together and running nicely for last 2 years and put a V belt on it replacing leather one and made all sorts of fixtures for it; never painted it; original chipped paint so not a refurb; just a good cleaning; I don't like new and shiny things in my garage

Thanks for the tip I'll order one.. I'm going to get the lathe next Tuesday.

Here are some pictures, it does appear to be a heavy ten. I pressure washed it, let it dry in 100 degree sun, ran solvent through all the oil holes and wiped it down with WD-40. Everything turns and all the gears seem complete. The ways seem OK, probably won't scrape. I'm thinking full teardown, replace what's needed, primer, paint, replace the three phase motor with a one hp 110 motor which I have on hand. Did I miss anything? All suggestions and comments welcome.

Can't beat it for a C-note.

I can't find the serial number. Usually it is at the end of the bed on the operator's side, any ideas?

SB1001.jpg SB1002.jpg SB1003.jpg SB1004.jpg SB1005.jpg SB1006.jpg SB1007.jpg SB1008.jpg SB1009.jpg SB1010.jpg SB1011.jpg SB1012.jpg SB1013.jpg SB1014.jpg SB1015.jpg SB1016.jpg SB1017.jpg SB1018.jpg

You might look at a VFD for the 3 phase motor instead of replacing. That would allow you to have infinite speed control.

Wowsers!!! That's an absolute STEAL ... Congratulations!

A full teardown sounds like a good idea - no telling what nooks and crannys the pressure wash got water into. Is that mainly dirt showing in the photos, or rust? Maybe it's time for some Evaporust.

Anyway, no matter how much fluff-and-buff you have to do, it looks like you have a great machine at a great price.

I agree with hman, teardown wouldn't be a bad idea.

Most likely unless your doing aerospace work, your ways will be fine. As a first time scraper you might hurt the ways more than help them unless you have professional guidance or completely understand the process. My 13" small spindle South Bend lathe has probably close the .030" way wear, yet it turns a 9" long bar to tenths. Why? Because I can adjust the tailstock over (towards me) to compensate for the falling carriage as it nears the headstock.

When you teardown the lathe, one thing to note. The flat head screw on the star shaped power feed on/off knob is a very small diameter LH thread. Careful not to strip it.

I agree with hman, teardown wouldn't be a bad idea.

Most likely unless your doing aerospace work, your ways will be fine. As a first time scraper you might hurt the ways more than help them unless you have professional guidance or completely understand the process. My 13" small spindle South Bend lathe has probably close the .030" way wear, yet it turns a 9" long bar to tenths. Why? Because I can adjust the tailstock over (towards me) to compensate for the falling carriage as it nears the headstock.

When you teardown the lathe, one thing to note. The flat head screw on the star shaped power feed on/off knob is a very small diameter LH thread. Careful not to strip it.

Damn. I didn't strip it...I broke it off in the shaft. Now what?

Other than that the teardown/cleanup is going well. I'm thinking on having the bed powder coated. There is a place nearby. I'm going to take it in today and get a price.

Careful with powder coating!!! Im not sure but the very hot ovens they use might warp the bed!!!

Use a standard RH drill to try and drill out the remaining screw. If it works, just make a new LH screw with your new lathe :)

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Careful with powder coating!!! Im not sure but the very hot ovens they use might warp the bed!!!

Use a standard RH drill to try and drill out the remaining screw. If it works, just make a new LH screw with your new lathe :)

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

That is a very small screw with a very fine thread. I've done left hand threads before but would never attempt something this delicate. Could I Just buy the shaft and screw? Or, maybe I could drill out the old screw, tap the hole and use an off-the-shelf right hand screw with loctite?

I don't know how hot the powder coating oven gets but will find out today. How high would the temp have to be to cause a problem?

Back