Picked An Sb 10 Today

That is a very small screw with a very fine thread. I've done left hand threads before but would never attempt something this delicate. Could I Just buy the shaft and screw? Or, maybe I could drill out the old screw, tap the hole and use an off-the-shelf right hand screw with loctite?

I don't know how hot the powder coating oven gets but will find out today. How high would the temp have to be to cause a problem?
I'm not sure about powder coating temps, but I think it's around 450F.

No need to worry about a delicate part :) if nothing else you can learn from it. Use a very sharp threading tool with some back take, tailstock for support (very light clamping) and a good cutting oil. I'd recommend a leaded steel alloy like 12l14, as you get a great finish even if you machined it using a beaver!

If not you can use a HSS adjustable threading die, you can get them for around $10.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I like 12l14. It makes me look like the machinist I'm not.

Would 450 be too much heat?

Look at the numbers on the bed this will give all the info you need

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Look at the numbers on the bed this will give all the info you need

Usually the serial is on the topside of the operator's end of the ways. Not so here. There is a "foundry" number cast into the underside of the bed but that could not possibly be a serial number.

Anyway I went to the powder coating shop today. They want $200.00 which I'm not going to pay. They will sand blast it for $70.00 (less if I mask it). So that is what I'm going to do. Primer and paint and it will look almost as good as powder.

They told me the heat is only 350 degrees which I cannot imagine would in any way damage the casting.

Don't use sand blaster use a Electrolysis method this is the best way and inexpensive(look up on Internet)I used scotch bright on the bed ways when clean I primed and painted use a good industrial paint the numbers for southbend 10 are always on the bed way on the right tail stock end if you go to www.southbendlathe .com/serial _numbers.aspx this will give you all info you need hope this will help

Don't use sand blaster use a Electrolysis method this is the best way and inexpensive(look up on Internet)I used scotch bright on the bed ways when clean I primed and painted use a good industrial paint the numbers for southbend 10 are always on the bed way on the right tail stock end if you go to www.southbendlathe .com/serial _numbers.aspx this will give you all info you need hope this will help

I have used the electrolysis method for many years and I am still using it. I have a 150 gallon tank which works (and is working as we speak) for small and medium size parts but I'm thinking since the bed will not fit it will be easier to sandblast.

I have done this before and always give the sandblast man a can of Rustoleum primer to apply immediately after blasting.

Back