Picking a new lathe - so frustrating

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
So I've been wanting to upgrade my metal lathe for a while now. Not only is it a toy sized lathe, (it's Grizzly's smallest at 36 pounds), but it's starting to go.
I initially thought about the PM-1022V but then over time I've settled on the many more thousands of dollars PM-1236T. It looks like a quality lahe and it's brand new.
But reading about lathes can take you into so many directions. Experienced machinists will say the PM-1236T is still a toy and still find issues with it. They are die hard American iron people. So I also look at used American iron. Recently, a 1946 Southbend 9A has come up for sale in my area. It's for $1595. It's listed as being in excellent condition. I wouldn't know if it is or isn't. My question is, should I go for it? It's a lot better price than $4299, which is way up there for me. I just want to know that it would be just as good as a new Taiwan machine, if not better.
I make small parts for the guitars I make like the knobs and saddles and all. I also would like to dabble in gunsmithing down the road.
Would the 1946 SB9A in excellent condition for $1595 be a good choice and buy?
As always, any and all help and advise is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 4487FEE9-DE86-420D-A3AA-A432A744233A.jpeg
    4487FEE9-DE86-420D-A3AA-A432A744233A.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DDEE684D-5BFC-4D02-9519-5314482B1AE6.jpeg
    DDEE684D-5BFC-4D02-9519-5314482B1AE6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
  • 4DCBFB4B-9F26-429E-993A-A7E2C4A9CDFA.jpeg
    4DCBFB4B-9F26-429E-993A-A7E2C4A9CDFA.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 88
I've got a '48 9B. From the pic of the 9A you posted the ways look worn just like mine. That being said I'm the most inaccurate part of my setup. I wish I had a 9A. I have about $1500 in my setup. If I could I would definitely go with a new lathe that could do metric threads.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I've got a '48 9B. From the pic of the 9A you posted the ways look worn just like mine. That being said I'm the most inaccurate part of my setup. I wish I had a 9A. I have about $1500 in my setup. If I could I would definitely go with a new lathe that could do metric threads.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Thanks Neil for your reply. So do you think the ways in their current condition would be unacceptible? Would I have inaccuracies in my work?

I'm both a fan of 'old iron' and newer machines with modern features. Each has its place. An experienced machinist can check an old lathe or mill, and let you know what condition it is in. For those of us that love to rebuild machines, we have a wider range of machines we want to buy.

I'll assume you want a ready-to-run lathe that will use commonly available tooling, and that you need more capability/rigidity, but can't afford the 'ultimate' lathe.

A SB9A is an excellent machine that can do accurate work. even a worn out one can do accurate work, if you use good techniques and don't apply too much 'trust' in the squareness, eveness, or tightness of the machine. This also goes for any machine, but to a lesser degree on a 'perfect' machine.

The picture above above isn't enough to form an analysis. In person with my indicators, etc, I could give you a good idea of what is possible with it.

Used machines, when in good condition always have superior performance versus their cost, but a lemon will give you heartache and something that will trouble you to get rid of. BTW: If you really need to do metric pitches, you can one day add a 127 tooth gear along with an appropriate idler gear to do common metric pitches on your imperial change gear box. It will take a bunch of math, but it can be done. :encourage:

UPDATE: So I went another direction. A Jet BDB-919 came onto Craigslist about an hour's drive from me. Brand new and never used and asking $2000. It came with stand, all the extras like faceplate, 4 jaw chuck, centers and rests and tools, plus it came with two new sets of tooling and an AXA QCTP. All that is over $3000 retail. I had to jump on it. It's plenty big enough for my main needs. Thanks all for your replies.
Addendum: I've always envisioned a big beefy lathe. That PM-1236T would be around 1000 pounds. Awesome. Well, getting this little 250 pound Jet into my basement was a pain in my back. I don't think the big boys are meant for my workshop.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good fit for you-keep us posted on how you like it
-mark

Definately a step up from a Grizzly 4x6" lathe, I think you are going to be very happy with that. The 9x19 lathes have a large user base and there is a ton of information available to improve them. They are also small enough that if at some point you still decide to go bigger, they don't take up a lot of space and they can continue to be handy as a second lathe.

Ughhhhh. I wrote a really nice reply to this and it is gone :(

Let me try to remember what I wrote

UPDATE: So I went another direction. A Jet BDB-919 came onto Craigslist about an hour's drive from me. Brand new and never used and asking $2000. It came with stand, all the extras like faceplate, 4 jaw chuck, centers and rests and tools, plus it came with two new sets of tooling and an AXA QCTP. All that is over $3000 retail. I had to jump on it. It's plenty big enough for my main needs. Thanks all for your replies.
Addendum: I've always envisioned a big beefy lathe. That PM-1236T would be around 1000 pounds. Awesome. Well, getting this little 250 pound Jet into my basement was a pain in my back. I don't think the big boys are meant for my workshop.

Well anyways I see you found a lathe! congrats. The just of my missing comment was thta you shouldn't discount the capabilities of a good import lathe. And that sometimes the American iron fixer-upper jobs aren't what new guys are looking for.

Congrats on the lathe. Sounds like you did well. I moved a 1000lb 12x36 into the basement and it was a real chore. Not looking to having to move.

I looked at the owner's manual/parts list and it looks like a spider would screw onto the outboard end of the spindle. With a spider you could do some barrel work on already tapered barrels. Most barrels have less than 3/4" OD for most of their length.

Congrats on the lathe. Like you said all of the included tooling really adds up in costs you didn't have to spend. My lathe came with every accessory in the craftsman catalog except for a taper attachment. Saved me a bundle on tooling. Have fun with your lathe and don't forget to show us your projects.

Last edited:
Back