Picking a new lathe - so frustrating

I can't imagine getting these heavy machine tools down in a basement.
You do what you got to do I guess.
Congrats. sounds like you got a smoking deal on that lathe with all the tooling!!

Having a walk-out basement certainly helps.
I still ended up disassembling my machines for transport/moving.

@Janderso getting them out of the basement is even more fun! ask me how I know!! (that's right - I promised a thread about my most recent move - oops!! I'll add a link here as soon as I get the photos together and post the link!

I can't imagine getting these heavy machine tools down in a basement.
You do what you got to do I guess.
Congrats. sounds like you got a smoking deal on that lathe with all the tooling!!

You just have to plan. Get the machine on a sled, build a ramp on the stairs with 2x4's, winch it up or down the stairs, and lift it into final position on an engine hoist.

Did all my machines with one buddy in an afternoon, but I had prepared for a week. Went smoothly.

You just have to plan. Get the machine on a sled, build a ramp on the stairs with 2x4's, winch it up or down the stairs, and lift it into final position on an engine hoist.

Did all my machines with one buddy in an afternoon, but I had prepared for a week. Went smoothly.
That's so true. The gut reaction is to just get it down there asap as you want to start using it immediately, but so many damn things happen when moving something this heavy.
Thanks all for the replies. I do feel as though I got a great deal. I've already spun out a new guitar knob on it and it came out perfect. I got a lot to learn though with this new machine.

That's so true. The gut reaction is to just get it down there asap as you want to start using it immediately, but so many damn things happen when moving something this heavy.
Thanks all for the replies. I do feel as though I got a great deal. I've already spun out a new guitar knob on it and it came out perfect. I got a lot to learn though with this new machine.

Please share some pictures! We are all excited to see your setup.

Congrats on the acquisition! Also nice to get a new machine in the shop!

Bruce

Nice unit. you will be very happy with it!

The lathe is nice, but man, that axe is a sweet piece!

Back