Pictures

Let me just close my mouth, wipe the drool off the desk.
As John said, I'm glad it's so far away from me.

Jeff , quite a bit to take in , but I'm still trying to fit into my garage . I spent Monday and Tuesday re-arranging and getting rid of stuff again . For the first time in 36 years I can get a small car into the garage . :grin: ( that is after I remove the Kubota and zero turns )

Pics to come as I took full advantage of the open space , and it usually doesn't stay open long ! :rolleyes:

I made up an extra set of hydraulic hoses for the Bota yesterday , along with changing some fluids . Tucked the Atlas 3996 underneath a shelf , had 2 fires in the pit , basically just another cleanup/cleanout . I have a problem tire that I can't seem to seal , I may have to run it up to a real shop .:mad:
I gained a lot of space with this last move , as you can see I can get a car in the garage now ! Let's see how long that lasts . :big grin:

Question . Will 3000 PSI hydraulic hose replace steel lines on a vehicle brake system or is this a bad idea ? :dunno: I'm going to be starting some work on an old K5 Blazer which needs some new lines .

Attachments

• IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 52
There is already a rubber type flex line on all four corners of cars. That’s how your front tires are able to pivot. I would say you could do it but man I wouldn’t wanna pay that bill. Hard lines are suppose to be more durable,routes are tighter and out of way. As long as they don’t rust out.

All the equipment looks okay. I’d post each one on CL and when the potential buyers come I’d offer them other stuff as a bulk purchase deal. Make them feel special. Don’t overprice and the stuff will sell itself.

Question . Will 3000 PSI hydraulic hose replace steel lines on a vehicle brake system or is this a bad idea ? :dunno: I'm going to be starting some work on an old K5 Blazer which needs some new lines .
You could, but the life is much shorter. The new green colored, brake lines are plated with a rust resistant coating that works real well. You can get them in various lengths up to approx 5 foot lengths, and get connectors to make longer runs, or get a 25 foot roll, and make your own double flares.

Even when I lived in Pa, with all its salt, I never had any show any signs of rusting.

Everything under a Chevy rust. Had to replace all of mine that I’ve owned. You can get stainless prebent lines or a coil for cheap these days. I’ve replace lines with ones from auto stores that have a special coating. Don’t scratch them because they will rust just like the rest. Had to replace replacements before cause they rusted through too.

RE: Brake lines:

Were it me (and it has been often working with British cars) I'd use cupronickel. Not hellishly expensive but it bends, mounts and flares easier than steel - and seals well also. It's available in coils, and cutting and fitting it is a triviality if you follow the routing of the original lines.

Depends on your intent - if this is fixing up a throwaway go with the steel - if not cupronickel's my choice. I have lines on my old Land-Rover I did 20-odd years ago that still look new.

RE: Brake lines:

Were it me (and it has been often working with British cars) I'd use cupronickel. Not hellishly expensive but it bends, mounts and flares easier than steel - and seals well also. It's available in coils, and cutting and fitting it is a triviality if you follow the routing of the original lines.

Depends on your intent - if this is fixing up a throwaway go with the steel - if not cupronickel's my choice. I have lines on my old Land-Rover I did 20-odd years ago that still look new.
Might check with your state before using copper alloys. I know many states used to not allow copper lines,(not sure how it applied to copper alloys), Pa was one. Looking now, they just say "brake lines shall be approved for use as brake lines". I did not research back to the laws, to see if and how they have changed.

In the Military, it could be used for fuel, and transmission lines, but not for brakes, But it had to have mounting points more often then the steel lines .

Yes, the adds do say they meet SAE 1677 standards, but that only applies to the construction of lines, nothing about how they can be used.

Back