Pin Gage Question

mountainshadows

Registered
Registered
Hello all. Starting my travels down the machining path. I wanted to know what others thought about cheapo pin gages versus premium? Has anyone tried the cheap stuff and checked if they are actually within tolerances?
I've been looking at some Vermont Gage and Meyers Gage sets on Ebay.
I like good tools and but don't see myself using pin gages everyday so thought I might get by with a cheap set.
I guess also apply that to gage blocks although I can see where they might be used more.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

You may not use them every day, but when you need them Vermont or Meyers are what you need. Keep in mind they're like gauge blocks in the fact they're used for verification of equipment as well as inspecting hole size and such.
I've come across cheap sets. When you check one of the pins diameter there may be no consistently in roundness up and down its length. I've even found bent pins in a used set. No idea how that happened.
But in the end you have to decide the quality you need.

I don’t use my Vermont pin gages that often, but when I do, I know I can trust them. I don’t have the same faith in cheap tools.

Another thing to think about, people using the cheap sets have reported they rust easily, so if your workshop is located where rust can be a problem, the premium gages might be the better choice.

I have a relatively cheap couple of sets that cover from some fraction of a mm (0.5mm?) up to 10mm. I got them from AliExpress.

I haven't used them yet but I can take a sample and use my mic to give you an idea of how consistent and accurate they are.

I'll pop down to my garage in an hour or so and let you know what I find.

About 4 years ago I needed some gauge pins for a project. I purchased 2 sets on eBay from CME Tools. I haven't used everyone in the sets, but those I have used are true. I purchased the imperial sets that are .0002" undersize.

I have a plus set of .061" to .250" and a minus set of .251" to .500" that I bought from Enco not long before they disappeared. I check pins with a micrometer and every pin that I have checked was exactly .0002" oversize or undersize. I haven't seen any rusting of my sets nor have I seen any imperfections.

It is interesting to note that even the name brand sets don't specify straightness tolerance.

I have a plus set of .061" to .250" and a minus set of .251" to .500" that I bought from Enco not long before they disappeared. I check pins with a micrometer and every pin that I have checked was exactly .0002" oversize or undersize. I haven't seen any rusting of my sets nor have I seen any imperfections.

It is interesting to note that even the name brand sets don't specify straightness tolerance.
I would expect that the straightness falls into the over/under, otherwise the pin would not register correctly. Imagine a -.0002 being bent by a slight amount, it would now be a + size, and be out of spec.

I would like to chime in here and ask a similar question. Starting out, what sizes would most likely be the most useful to buy first?

They are (should be) a buy once thing. Get the highest quality that you can reasonably afford. One thing to be aware of (you may already know this) - you can buy sets with accuracy certificates traceable to NIST etc. golden standards - and you really don't need that unless you are making and selling high percussion parts as a supplier to an industry that demands it.

Also, on the cheap but still good quality used sets show up at tool flea markets with a few pins missing. I got a quality 1/4 - 1/2 by 16th's set for about $30 with only two missing pins. Filled my need for larger pins, I may eventually get a bigger new set.

I would like to chime in here and ask a similar question. Starting out, what sizes would most likely be the most useful to buy first?
Really depends on what kind of work you do. I need to be able to accurately check small holes. So I started with the standard set that stops at .25 (think it starts at .100?). I then filled in the tiny set and found a cheap used set for the .25 - .5

Back