Pink Starrett Surface Plate

papermaker

Active User
Registered
I have an opportunity to pick up a Starrett Surface Plate that measures 12" x 18" for $50. What do I need to look for as far as defects and if the condition is good is the price good?

The pink plates are the hardest,longest lasting plates,as the pink granite is full of quartz. Small dings will not hurt the accuracy of the plate Unless it is broken,I'd say it is a good deal for a very accurate surface plate.

I have an opportunity to pick up a Starrett Surface Plate that measures 12" x 18" for $50. What do I need to look for as far as defects and if the condition is good is the price good?

The quickest test is to take a straight edge and set it on the surface. If you see light between the surface and the edge will let you know if there is a lot of wear. Also those plates can be heavy. Most of the time the ones I used were about 2" thick. Be sure the table or bench is strong. $50 seems like a bargain. Good luck

The Person who has them listed, them meaning 2, asked if I would take them both. the other surface plate is much bigger and black. they said they would give me a deal if I took both. the pink on is $50 and the black one is $100. that is before the deal so we'll have to see how sweet. not that I need two of them or one for that matter but I could probably trade one for something.

sounds like they're keen to get rid of them. Offer $100 for both.

Cheers Phil

I wouldn't even think about it. They are trying to rip you off! Send me their name, number, and address and I'll give them a good talking to for ya! :jester: Seriously, if they are close by, you would be a fool to pass up that deal, even at full price! Good Luck.

Pink is the top of the line. Hard and durable as noted in the posts above.
It may need to be trued up & flattened but that should be easy to do.
I was setting up an inspection lab at a company I worked for in '86 and purchased (3) 4'x8'x18" - massive beasts.
Every single one of them had to be trued. Starrett stood by their certs but the numbers didn't come close.

_d.

In most cases a surface plate is like a boat, bigger is better ! Unless you absolutely don't have room. Then put it in the kitchen ! Pink would be for a women's mfg center. Any plate would be good unless your making Swiss watches or rocket ships or it's cracked. Better go get em !
dickr

If it's not cracked or has a giant crater in the center, it's a screamin' deal.

If it's obviously worn, has nicks, or corners chipped, don't fret. Chips and large dings can be filled in with very stable epoxy (I believe Starret can do this for you) and it can also be flattened (lapped) true if worn.

50 bucks for any Starrett plate is a good deal.

How about countertop scraps? For general shop use in a home shop would a piece of countertop granite be useful??
I have been known to use my table saw as a surface plate.

Back