Pink Starrett Surface Plate

How about countertop scraps? For general shop use in a home shop would a piece of countertop granite be useful??

I'd like to find some. If you can scrounge three such pieces you can check them against one another to make sure they're flat.

I have been known to use my table saw as a surface plate.

My saw table is my only surface plate.

How about countertop scraps? For general shop use in a home shop would a piece of countertop granite be useful??
I have been known to use my table saw as a surface plate.

I use a pice of granite counter top. It is flat enough for what I do.

Counter top sink cutouts are flat, but not as flat as you would think, I'll test one tomorrow if interested.
If you had a lot of time on your hands, get three and lap them together.

Well I bought both surface plates for $100. The biggest of the two is 2' x 3' x 5" and weighs about 300# without a brand name . The other is the Starrett Crystal Pink grade B which is 1' x 1.5' x 4". The seller was into the machining hobby and has since changed interests. He is currently putting together a package deal for an older Enco knee mill. We'll see if that come home too!

It depends upon what your needs are,but even expensive table saw tables(particularly the old style Blanchard ground tables like on my 1964 saw) are only,at best,.002" to .003" flat. Maybe a lot worse.

Back