pistol work

Brnoczech

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am a new member and just posted pictures of my garage shop. This is a picture of my first gun project. Started out as a near new Smith and Wesson model 19. I reworked the internals, installed a ball detent cylinder latch, rebarrelled starting with a Jarvis blank, drilled and tapped for the mount and installed the scope. It is a consistent 3/4 inch gun at 25 yards, my smallest cylinder full group is just over 1/2 inch. The ejector shroud was machined separately from 7075 aluminum. The bead blast and gunkote on the shroud I had to farm out since I didn't have the equipment to do this.pistol 19-5 001 SIZED SMALL1.jpgpistol 19-5 002 RESIZED SMALL1.jpgpistol 19-5 003 RESIZED SMALL1.jpgpistol 19-5 004 RESIZED SMALL1.jpg
These are pictures after the gunkote and beadblast and reblue.
.357 in 2008 No. 1 IMG_1933.jpg.357 in 2008 No. 2  IMG_1926.jpg

pistol 19-5 001 SIZED SMALL1.jpg pistol 19-5 002 RESIZED SMALL1.jpg pistol 19-5 003 RESIZED SMALL1.jpg pistol 19-5 004 RESIZED SMALL1.jpg .357 in 2008 No. 1 IMG_1933.jpg .357 in 2008 No. 2  IMG_1926.jpg

Well done!

Is that a Miculek grip? How do you like that? I was considering getting those for a couple of my S&Ws.

Thanks,

-Ron

Nice work,
I do bead blasting and duracoating. Very easy and relatively inexpensive.
I got a small blast cabinet from tractor supply for $100 and a small HVLP gravity feed spray gun at the same time (forget how much spray gun was, but not much) practice with some old scrap. It doesn't take long to learn.

Well done!

Is that a Miculek grip? How do you like that? I was considering getting those for a couple of my S&Ws.

Thanks,

-Ron

Yes, its a Miculek. I think that for the type of action shooting Jerry Miculek does it works very well, however for deliberate shooting with the scope I think I would prefer the standard full size S&W grips. They seem to give me a firmer more secure grasp of the gun. Since working on this gun I acquired a late 70's model 25 in 45 auto rim and I prefer the full size S&W factory grips that it has on it. They actually fit my hand better, more of a form fit to your hand.

Nice work,
I do bead blasting and duracoating. Very easy and relatively inexpensive.
I got a small blast cabinet from tractor supply for $100 and a small HVLP gravity feed spray gun at the same time (forget how much spray gun was, but not much) practice with some old scrap. It doesn't take long to learn.

Thanks for the info. My main limitation at present as far as blasting is concerned is my compressor. It's a small 140 psi pancake type unit that only puts out 4.5 cfm or so. Not enough I am told to be able to run the blaster continuously for any size job, unless you have all afternoon to do a barrel.

That is very sweet, are you using that for centerfire stage of 2700 bullseye matches?

That is very sweet, are you using that for centerfire stage of 2700 bullseye matches?

Casual shooting for now, and probably some future deer hunting. I have built a couple of 45's based off of Springfield Milspec frames and slides, and also have a rock river arms 45, and while the 45's can be made to shoot very accurately with good components and fitting, this model 19 makes me wonder why more revolvers aren't used in bullseye matches. Inch and a half 45's can be built, but I think it takes a lot of work to get one to shoot that well consistently. We have a local club that I belong to that has regular monthly bullseye matches, although I haven't shot in one.

and while the 45's can be made to shoot very accurately with good components and fitting, this model 19 makes me wonder why more revolvers aren't used in bullseye matches.

I used to shoot both 22 and centerfire bullseye with s&w perfomance center revolvers. Very accurate. I think the reason is that most shooters aren't comfortable either cocking the revolver each time, or shooting double action in the rapid fire part.

And yes, a small pancake compressor makes for a loooong job. Been there, done thst

I am trying to sell a Caspian National Match Ball Gun right now so that I can raise the money for the mill CNC project. It was built at the AMU.

Back