[4]

Planer gage

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
O

ome

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
How do I use a Lufkin planar gage to set for height?

easymike29

Active User
Registered
You can use a micrometer, a surface plate with an indicator, a qualified gauge, etc. Any number of ways.

You could also compose your title better. For instance,,"How can I set a planer gage?"

Or,,"How can I use a planer gage?"

Gene

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Are you actually using it on a Planer, or a grinder, or ... More info to help you.

Bernie

O

ome

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
O

ome

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
How can I set a planer gage?

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a USED lufkin planer gage, bought i do not know how to use it.
What are the 2 black knobs, i turn them, but nothing happens.

Jon

Harvey Melvin Richards

Active User
Registered
Re: How can I set a planer gage?

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a USED lufkin planer gage, bought i do not know how to use it.
What are the 2 black knobs, i turn them, but nothing happens.

Jon
Since it has 2 knobs, you probably have a Lufkin 901 A, a very nice planer gage. With the planer sitting on the long edge, the vertical knob is for fine adjustment, the knob on the angle is the locking knob. Here are the instructions that came with mine.

P6155474Large_zps7dc510dd.jpg

And the beloved gage.

P6155480Large_zpsdc7ca246.jpg

When Lufkin was bought out by Pratt and Whitney, they continued the 901 A, but the sliding surfaces are a little different.

PB170890Large.jpg

Metalmann

Active User
Registered
Nothing much finer, than holding a brand new planer gauge in your hands.....

O

ome

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!

Since it has 2 knobs, you probably have a Lufkin 901 A, a very nice planer gage. With the planer sitting on the long edge, the vertical knob is for fine adjustment, the knob on the angle is the locking knob. Here are the instructions that came with mine.

P6155474Large_zps7dc510dd.jpg

And the beloved gage.

P6155480Large_zpsdc7ca246.jpg

When Lufkin was bought out by Pratt and Whitney, they continued the 901 A, but the sliding surfaces are a little different.

PB170890Large.jpg
Thank you very much, if i knew how to upload a photo i would.. There is a small metal piece connecting the two knobs, one knob is on an angle and the other knob is vertical, with the planer gage positioned as in your photo You are correct, it is a fully equipped Lufkin 901A planer gage. It needs some tlc because it was very hard to initially slide the gage along the way. Is the straight piece a scriber?

Thank You ,

Jon

Metalmann

Active User
Registered
I have retouched a few older gages using 3,000-5,000 grit wet dry, on a good surface plate.

Harvey Melvin Richards

Active User
Registered

Thank you very much, if i knew how to upload a photo i would.. There is a small metal piece connecting the two knobs, one knob is on an angle and the other knob is vertical, with the planer gage positioned as in your photo You are correct, it is a fully equipped Lufkin 901A planer gage. It needs some tlc because it was very hard to initially slide the gage along the way. Is the straight piece a scriber?

Thank You ,

Jon
On my gage, if you have the fine adjust backed out too far, the locking knob stud (the upper pivot with the small flat bar attaching to the other knob) will hit the top of the inside and not be able to lock. The fine adjustment rod has about 0.30" of travel, but only the last 0.15" is really usable.

The straight piece is a scriber.

I also have a couple of attachments that allow me to use a dial test indicator with the gage. The upper one is a modified Federal, and the lower is an unmodified Starrett.

P6172780Large_zpsa059ce4f.jpg

O

ome

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!

On my gage, if you have the fine adjust backed out too far, the locking knob stud (the upper pivot with the small flat bar attaching to the other knob) will hit the top of the inside and not be able to lock. The fine adjustment rod has about 0.30" of travel, but only the last 0.15" is really usable.

The straight piece is a scriber.

I also have a couple of attachments that allow me to use a dial test indicator with the gage. The upper one is a modified Federal, and the lower is an unmodified Starrett.

P6172780Large_zpsa059ce4f.jpg
looking at the gage closely, i noticed that when i opened the fine adjustment knob, a small spring became unseated in its counterrbore, i must be able to get it seated again, so that the lock will work.

Thanks,

Jon

Attachments

mckay3d

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Re: Planer gage ... Take my B&S 625!

I did like my Brown & Sharpe 625 planer gage until I saw this thread! Anyone have a Lufkin available and willing to take my 625 in trade?
If not, I guess I'll use it to set the tool height on my lathe...
Maurice

KBeitz

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Do a search for (Planer Pal) ... Much easier to use. It has magnets in it to hold the blades.

[6]
[5] [7]