Please help decode the welding term acronyms

Yes, but get something decent from the get-go. Good thread "welding helmet for my son" ongoing at the moment :)

I disagree with spending big money on an electronic helmet, especially as a hobbiest. My helmet is a $39 Harbor Freight special and other than the batteries only lasting 10 years (and no easy way to replace them), it has served me well. I use it for both MIG and stick welding.

I disagree with spending big money on an electronic helmet, especially as a hobbiest. My helmet is a $39 Harbor Freight special and other than the batteries only lasting 10 years (and no easy way to replace them), it has served me well. I use it for both MIG and stick welding.

Respectfully, I disagree. If I'd had a decent hood when I'd started out, I'm convinced I'd have had an easier time learning. Seeing the pool is half the battle. I've probably spent >£600 on hoods in the past 20 years, with the majority in the past five years. The best £200 I've spent of that has been the Lincoln by a long stretch. Visibility is king, right behind safety.

Especially given the link between welding fumes and cancer made recently. Even something to pull the fumes away from you and keep a fresh air supply is better than nothing. I don't think ad hobbyists we need worry about full air fed masks and suchlike, but a few sensible precautions are definitely worthwhile if you're doing a lot of welding.
The concept of 'not doing enough welding' to mean it is OK to breath a few fumes is what will get a hobbyist into trouble. The danger of welding fumes has been acknowledged and proven for a long time now. Hobbyists are usually concentrating 100% on the puddle and don't realize how much fumes they are breathing. Even if someone welds for only a few days a year it is easy enough to rig up a fan that blows the fumes away from the welder. I implore any new welder, hobbyist or otherwise, to make good ventilation a basic part of their equipment.

[
While on this subject, I take it that one of those electronic instant-darkening mask/helmet items is a given.
If you plan to weld with TIG you often weld at quite low amperage for thinner materials. Check that the auto darkening helmet will work correctly. Some of the cheaper helmets are not reliable at low amperage.

The concept of 'not doing enough welding' to mean it is OK to breath a few fumes is what will get a hobbyist into trouble. The danger of welding fumes has been acknowledged and proven for a long time now. Hobbyists are usually concentrating 100% on the puddle and don't realize how much fumes they are breathing. Even if someone welds for only a few days a year it is easy enough to rig up a fan that blows the fumes away from the welder. I implore any new welder, hobbyist or otherwise, to make good ventilation a basic part of their equipment.

I can't disagree. If I'd known when I started out, it would certainly have informed my choices.

If you plan to weld with TIG you often weld at quite low amperage for thinner materials. Check that the auto darkening helmet will work correctly. Some of the cheaper helmets are not reliable at low amperage.

Yes. This. Lower amperage has definitely been a problem with the lower cost hoods.

I agree. I spent about half that much for mine on Amazon. I've done a fair amount of welding with it, including aluminum (aluminium?) TIG at 150 amps. Never a flash burn, no problems seeing the puddle. It's in its third year, battery still good. I did have to modify it to accept a 2x cheater lens.

Forget the auto-darkening helmet. Everyone should learn to weld with a #10 shade - just like I did!

Forget the auto-darkening helmet. Everyone should learn to weld with a #10 shade - just like I did!

I still nod my head as I hit the pedal, even though the hood is already down.

The proper name for TIG welding is Gas Tungsten Arc Welding = GTAW

Back