Please Help Me Save This Part

lesrhorer

Registered
Registered
I goofed. I did. I accidentally missed the length of the part shown in the picture. The dimension pointed to by the arrow is too short by 0.050". In the cross section, you can see the blue part in which the red part sits is 0.050" deeper than the red part, which I machined of brass. The shoulder on the brass piece should be flush with the bottom of the blue piece and bottom out on the gray piece. The green washer is made of plastic (nylon, I think), and is 0.060" thick. Replacing it with a nylon or teflon washer 0.010" thick would work, but I don't know where I could get a washer 5/8" ID x 3/4" OD x 0.010" thick. If someone knows where, I would appreciate knowing it. I could make a washer 0.433" ID x 0.550" OD x 0.050" out of brass (I think), but I am concerned about keeping it centered during assembly.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Bad Brass Fitting.JPG
    Bad Brass Fitting.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 63
Good morning. I'm just having my morning coffee and thinking about your post. My first thought is
that you might remove .050 from the end of the blue part. Not seeing the part, that may or may not work.
My second thought is to machine a .050 thick brass ring and silver solder it on to the red part. By the
diagram, the ring wouldn't fit over the end of the part so one would have to cut it in half and solder it on in
two pieces. If silver solder is not an option, one could use an electrical or plumbing solder as a second
possibility. After soldering on the added material one could lightly touch up the part in the lathe for
trueness and do any machining necessary to fit. Hopefully you find this helpful. Good luck.:encourage:

Not quite enough info here, we only get to touch the red part or add more parts?
Basically you need to lengthen shoulder the arrow points at right?

The suggestion of making a split piece, silver soldering it in place and then returning that feature is probably the only way to fix it solidly.

Depending on requirements, you might be able to make the ring that needs to "fill" the goof and put a single split in it so it can be expanded enough to slide over the larger diameter and then snap into place. That would leave you with a loose washer type of ring that would get compressed when part is placed.

That said, what is function of this assembly? Looks like the red part is a loose fit and there is baffled port to relieve pressure, maybe a spring forces the red pin back in place?

Do you just need a shoulder for red part to rest on? ie. doesn't need to have the same id as the od of the grove feature on the red part?

Hope that helps.

Do not really understand the function. Are the circumferential galleries for fluid flow? Is the .050 short end a sealing or locating surface? If sealing, you could just put a 1/16 cross section o-ring which would compress like an O-ring face seal. If locating, you could just make a .050 thick washer to fit in the bore, split it into 2 half circles, insert it into the groove and assemble. It would be trapped so it would not matter if it was whole.

Good morning. I'm just having my morning coffee and thinking about your post. My first thought is
that you might remove .050 from the end of the blue part. Not seeing the part, that may or may not work.
'Sorry. I should have mentioned the mating part cannot be modified.
My second thought is to machine a .050 thick brass ring and silver solder it on to the red part. By the
diagram, the ring wouldn't fit over the end of the part so one would have to cut it in half and solder it on in
two pieces. If silver solder is not an option, one could use an electrical or plumbing solder as a second
possibility. After soldering on the added material one could lightly touch up the part in the lathe for
trueness and do any machining necessary to fit. Hopefully you find this helpful. Good luck.:encourage:
Thanks! I hadn't thought of splitting the ring. That would make it easier, wouldn't it?

Do not really understand the function. Are the circumferential galleries for fluid flow? Is the .050 short end a sealing or locating surface? If sealing, you could just put a 1/16 cross section o-ring which would compress like an O-ring face seal. If locating, you could just make a .050 thick washer to fit in the bore, split it into 2 half circles, insert it into the groove and assemble. It would be trapped so it would not matter if it was whole.
That said, what is function of this assembly? Looks like the red part is a loose fit and there is baffled port to relieve pressure, maybe a spring forces the red pin back in place?

Do you just need a shoulder for red part to rest on? ie. doesn't need to have the same id as the od of the grove feature on the red part?
This is a part of a faucet. The red part will have a 1/4" copper pipe soldered into the tail piece. Water flows into the circumferential galleries and out through a circular port in the blue part - the faucet spout, then into the sink. There is a pair of o-rings, one on either side of the galleries, which prevents leaks. The red part is (supposed to be!) long enough so the spout can move freely. If I remove the green gasket, then the spout does move freely, but there is more vertical play than I like, and more importantly I am concerned about wear.

Is the .050 short end a sealing or locating surface? If sealing, you could just put a 1/16 cross section o-ring which would compress like an O-ring face seal. If locating, you could just make a .050 thick washer to fit in the bore, split it into 2 half circles, insert it into the groove and assemble. It would be trapped so it would not matter if it was whole.
It's a locating surface, Once the red part is screwed into the base, it becomes a solid unit around which the spout can swing freely. I did not show it, in the drawing, but the tail piece is threaded. It does need to bear some stress, especially if one accidentally hits the spout up or down, which is pretty much inevitable.

I am thinking a 1/16" O-ring might work well enough. It would not be rigid, but it might work well enough. A soldered ring would be best, but making one would be a bit ticklish. Still, I think I can manage.

Last edited:
Delrin opened in one place for your spacer?
I don't have any Delrin, and I am unsure I could manage to successfully cut a piece that thin. I think I might be able to cut a brass washer and split it - maybe,

Last edited:
Back