Please Help Me Save This Part

I wonder if I could use steel-infused epoxy and machine it down? What do you guys think?

Bite the bullet and make a new one to the correct dimensions. A second part always goes faster than the first part, at least to my experience and the observation of others.

Here is an updated photo that is a bit more accurate.

Attachments

• Bad Brass Fitting.JPG
    Bad Brass Fitting.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 7
Ok - that pic helps a lot.

I suppose the blue faucet part is truncated in the drawing, but if you have the swing just mount it and turn what you need off of the bottom.

Other than that, a single or double split ring on the bottom would work well enough. It will be in compression when you screw the stem into the base. Also it's diameter is not critical, it can be a smidge smaller than the stem.

Actually, looking at how it assembles, I'm guessing that you thread the stem in until the faucet swing feels right and compresses the top washer enough to prevent excessive leaking. I'd just throw another rubber o-ring on the bottom (might help with bottom leaks). The faucet body itself is going to do a good job limiting flex, and even if you fill the gap/mistake there would still be some clearance between it and the base so you can set the faucet swing feel.

You could wrap it with string and call it a stuffing box! Soldering a 2 part ring in there and turning it back to size is the best suggestion so far, cheap too!

I wonder if I could use steel-infused epoxy and machine it down? What do you guys think?
Steel anything in a water system sounds like rust to me.

Do I understand correctly? The red part is stationary in service and the blue part rotates around it?
If that is correct, why is there no plastic washer (or other thrust bearing) between the blue and black parts?

Build up that surface with silver solder and machine. It's only .050"

I suppose the blue faucet part is truncated in the drawing, but if you have the swing just mount it and turn what you need off of the bottom.

No, that won't work, I'm afraid. There is a washer embedded in the (blue) faucet spout that bears on the (black) base. I tried getiing it out, but had no luck. Probably more to the point, I am far from confidant I can securely hold the piece. See the updated picture above.

Last edited:
Back