Plumbing a valve

solo

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
A & B Work ports, (A, advance-B, retract)
P from pump, T return
I have 3 ports for T. Do I plug the other two?

Attachments

• 20230204_132313.jpg
    20230204_132313.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 20
I would need to see a schematic for the valve. I would assume that the others would be plugged

It is pretty much standard to have a top and a side port for both the inlet (P) and the outlet (T).
With a joystick on there, you almost certainly have a two spool valve. As such there is an A and B work port for each spool (sometimes labeled A, B, C & D), four work ports. Thus two spools = two functions.
As above, is there a schematic supplied with that valve? It's a Salami, but what is the p/n of it?

You have to use a power beyond valve, To use two valves in series. That's what the extra tank port is for.

Your valve looks like a Salami VM6 variation. I labeled some features on the attached drawing, maybe this will help. (Some of the pictures show extra holes not present on your valve, ignore them.)

Attachments

• SalamiVM6.JPG
    SalamiVM6.JPG
    516.4 KB · Views: 14
this thread picture explains the setup of hoses.

Thanks guys for all the reply's, I've been busy getting the new shop together. We sold a property, I hauled gravel, lumber.
It seems like a dozen things going on at once...I thought getting older was suppose to be slowing down. Fat chance here..
I believe I have it plumbed correctly. Since this is only for a grapple on my skid steer, I'm only using one spool.
I'll get a picture tomorrow.

If I'm understanding correctly. I can use a power beyond Valve and not use a solenoid to control
The third function.
Top right, I have air line connected (pressure)
On the valve with the open fitting is going to the tank.
The fitting below the tank return, would be where the power beyond valve would go.
Putting pressure back to the other controls.
In a nut shell, using a power beyond valve, I will have all functions, working together.
And If, I would find a use for the other spool, I'm all good to go!

Attachments

• 20230222_163029.jpg
    20230222_163029.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Normally, when both spools are in neutral position, oil flow is from the inlet port across the valve to the tank port and returns to reservoir. With a power beyond option installed, when both spools are in neutral, oil flow is from inlet port to the power beyond port where it can be directed at high pressure to a downstream valve or function. When one or both of the spools in the first valve are shifted, the power beyond flow is stopped.
You still need to have a tank line connected to the valve when power beyond is installed.
If there is no downstream valve/function in your circuit you don't want power beyond installed.

Normally, when both spools are in neutral position, oil flow is from the inlet port across the valve to the tank port and returns to reservoir. With a power beyond option installed, when both spools are in neutral, oil flow is from inlet port to the power beyond port where it can be directed at high pressure to a downstream valve or function. When one or both of the spools in the first valve are shifted, the power beyond flow is stopped.
You still need to have a tank line connected to the valve when power beyond is installed.
If there is no downstream valve/function in your circuit you don't want power beyond installed.
This is for a grapple on a mini skid steer, it has a T handle set up, Right T controls the bucket, left T controls forward and backward/ turning.
The power beyond will eliminate some hoses, and a bit simpler too. I got it now !
Thank you, I'll get back out there and make a mounting bracket and get things moving!

Attachments

• 183.jpg
    183.jpg
    668 KB · Views: 3
Back