Pm 1128vf-lb Questions

koba49

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am new to the Forum, I have been working as a machinist for over 30 years, after all this time I have decided to get a small lathe for my garage. I have been kicking this idea around for a few years, after doing all the research I was going to go with a grizzly 0752 but the stand for it was sold out so I did not order it. I was looking up more information on this machine, and I forgot that Bolton and Precision Mathews also sold lathes, I did research them but that was some time ago. After looking at the PM lathes I thought the PM 1127VF-LB was just right for what I needed, I joined this forum because I wanted to talk directly to people actually are using the machines I was interested in. The YouTube videos people post are helpful, but detailed information can be lacking. I was looking around this forum yesterday for info on the 1127 and found that there is an 1128 model. I like this machine a lot I did notice that a few members have one of these lathes I am going to call PM later today and get more information about the 1128 I wanted to open a thread because I may have some questions for the end users before I order one. I would like to thank you in advance for your help.

Hi koba49 and welcome to the site. I'm just starting to get into the hobby of home shop machining. I don't have any background in the sport but I'm learning. I bought the PM 1127VF-LB less than a year ago and have made a few chips. I also at the same time got the PM-25MV mill. As I stated I'm just starting out so no expert advice can be given. But I can offer/share what I've learned so far. If you need any pictures or info on this lathe let me know and I will do the best I can to answer. I don't know if its a typo but you type 1127 and 1128 in your post. Looking at Matt's (PM's) web site they only have the 1127 lathe. Again, welcome to the site.

I just purchased the 1127 lathe on Monday of this week along with the 727 mill. The lathe is scheduled to be delivered next Monday (March 7th). It'll probably be another week or so before the mill is delivered as they are waiting for a shipment to clear customs and the be inspected in house.

At this time I can't offer any first hand experiences; however, I'm sure others will be along shortly to share theirs.

Welcome to the site! :)

I'll be interested in what you pick, lathe wise, and why.

Hi koba49, we bought the PM- 1127VF-LB lathe for the high school. It is a really nice machine for its size and does everything we need it to do for the students.

My personal issue with the lathe is the non-standard spindle nose. The chucks bolt on which is not uncommon on the smaller import lathes. We found it impossible to get back-plates for this lathe. I'm hoping that has changed in the last few years but I have not heard one way or another. A D1-4 spindle would put this lathe over the top.

My lathe at home has a D style cam lock and I would not have it any other way. I change chucks frequently and when I use the lathe at the school it drives me nuts. I finally machined a back-plate for a Tru-Set style 3-jaw chuck and we leave that chuck on the machine 90% of the time. If we had the available space I would have gone with the PM-1236.

Jay

I just got off the phone with PM Matt was out, and the person there could not answer my questions, so Matt will call me back today. Dlhoulton I do think there is a model 1128 it is not on the website, but some people on this forum have bought some like last summer, I am trying to find out more about it, I just found out about it a few days ago. My problems and what I need information on is the delivery. Where I live a large truck is out of the question lift gate or not, even if I could get a truck with a lift gate I have to go 40 yards down the driveway, and it is downhill. I went over the delivery with Grizzly customer service, and it looks like I will have to pick up the fright at a terminal. but on my Toyoda truck the distance between the wheel wells in the bed are 42" I have to know the exact dimensions of the skid and how the item is shipped, so I don't run into the problem of the thing not being able to be loaded on the truck.

jbolt the chuck is the one thing I do not like about the 1127 but the PM 1236 is getting outside of what I was looking at , 220 power size weight, and price. I am lucky at this current job I can use the 16" manual lathe in the shop if I want on my days off. I wanted to stay around the $2,000. area but the 1127 is going to increase that a little the 1236 would about double that

lpeedin the 727 mill is something I am also interested in, I am working on getting a lathe first, but that mill looks like a very good choice for the home shop

I have an older Grizzly 1127 (about 15/16 years old), doesn't have all the 'bells and whistle' the newer models have. Nice little machine with a few quirks. As others will point out, at least on my model, it doesn't run slow enough so you'll be cutting off and or threading at 150 rpm. That is fixable with the right gearing I think but haven't had the need to figure it out. Mine also did not thread left hand until I added a reverse gear to the banjo for that purpose. That required other small mods to the cover guard. Still I think I could have done worse than the Grizzly 1127.

jbolt the chuck is the one thing I do not like about the 1127 but the PM 1236 is getting outside of what I was looking at , 220 power size weight, and price. I am lucky at this current job I can use the 16" manual lathe in the shop if I want on my days off. I wanted to stay around the $2,000. area but the 1127 is going to increase that a little the 1236 would about double that

I completely understand budgets. On the crate size, I recall we wheeled the crate of the 1127 through the classroom door which is 36".

Good luck on your search, I know it's not easy.

Back