Pm 1128vf-lb Questions

Koba49, sorry the first question you asked I don't have an answer for (exact dimension of skid). Hopefully one of the members that just bought and are waiting for delivery will be able to provide those numbers for you. That's one thing I did not even bother to get when mine arrived. For mine I did pay for "lift gate" and it arrived via semi truck. It was the only thing on the truck. They lowered down from the truck gate and used a pallet jack up my very short driveway. I too had to consider power (220) and size for my little shop. Didn't want to install 220 power. Have you considered the PM 1228VF-LB. I'm not sure of the price but several members here got this new lathe. It's not listed on Matt's site but they or members here might provide some info. It's very much like the 1127 with all of the same features. It has a different chucking system and it runs on 110 power.

Last edited:
I'll know the skid size Monday afternoon - at least the size of the one mine is being shipped on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would like to thank everyone for their help with my questions, I did talk to matt today, the skid with of 42" will just fit in the bed of my pick up truck, the reason it is important is I am going to have to go to the terminal to pick up the machine. I just did not want to get stuck with in not fitting on the truck. Also I was wrong when I started this thread, the machine I am interested in is a PM-1228VF-LB I had the wrong model number. I talked to Matt and I placed a deposit on a machine today, I also started a new thread with the correct lathe model number that is so people can find the right discussion on the correct machine, because there was some confusion on what lathe I was talking about, so any more comments or questions, discussion please go to this thread http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm-1228vf-lb-on-order-all-questions-answerd.44109/

If you have a trailer hitch on your truck you might go to U haul and get their small trailer. It would be closer to the ground and might help with unloading.

I have owned the 1127 lathe for over a year now and I can't say enough good things about it for the hobby type work that I do. It has the features that a bigger lathe has such as power feed and power cross feed, a large 1.5" spindle bore, separate feed rod and lead screw, 7" bed width (same as the larger 12" x 36" machines), cuts imperial and metric threads, and does it all with a 1.5 hp DC variable speed motor running off 110 volt electric. All of this is built into a 500# machine. This lathe has done everything I have asked it to do.

I have read up on the 12x28 machine that Matt sells. I believe it has been established that this is a Sieg C10 lathe that is built to Matt's specs. This would essentially be a head to head competitor to the 1127, which is not made by Sieg or Weiss. (Weiss doesn't actually make machines, they are actually kind of like machine pimps). The 12x28 seems to be a decent machine from all accounts.

I also have the 727 Milling machine and love it. It has plenty of power for it's size. It is also a roughly 500# machine that is very capable of doing good work. It has essentially the same table that is on the PM25, but the X travel is reduced by 4" due to a beefed up saddle that is a little wider. The beefed up saddle adds more support to the table, which is always good. The speed range is good for the work I do. I don't think a higher spindle speed would make any difference since it is a manual machine.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about either machine.

Thanks,

Chad

Hi koba49 and welcome to the site. I'm just starting to get into the hobby of home shop machining. I don't have any background in the sport but I'm learning. I bought the PM 1127VF-LB less than a year ago and have made a few chips. I also at the same time got the PM-25MV mill. As I stated I'm just starting out so no expert advice can be given. But I can offer/share what I've learned so far. If you need any pictures or info on this lathe let me know and I will do the best I can to answer. I don't know if its a typo but you type 1127 and 1128 in your post. Looking at Matt's (PM's) web site they only have the 1127 lathe. Again, welcome to the site.

the lathe I am getting is 1228 I got the model number wrong, I am going to have to wait a month or so for it to get here. I am thinking about getting a milling machine but that is going to be in the future. Thank you for you help and if I have any questions I will get back to you, I will post my progress with setting up the lathe.

Mike

Back