Pm 1228-vf-lb Lathe Preparations

Franko you are shopping at the high $ places because a quart is $11.94 at HD in Phoenix. I just painted a wood top with the same silver hammered paint using my HVLP gun. I put 4 coats on and have let the top sit in the garage for the last month to get hard.

I didn't really shop much, brav. I never looked at the price of a quart because I knew I preferred to use aerosol.

I did shop for the best price on the aerosol, which happened to be Home Depot, which generally has the best prices on aerosol paint and being close, I don't have to drive all the way across Dallas. Doing a quick search, the lowest price I saw a quart online was at Sears, for about $15.

I'm not lazy or I wouldn't have even painted the box and drawers. But, I rarely do things the hard way — on purpose. If I had the facility and room to hang the drawers so I could paint all them in two passes I may have chosen to use a spray rig. Spraying them in three batches in a succession of work and turn steps as I had to do it, would have been a giant hassle with a spray rig.

They are out in the sun, baking. Horizontal surfaces are about 145º and the vertical surfaces are about 130º. Every time I walk by them, I see a holiday I missed and have to give it a little squirt of paint.

It's been 8 days since they told me my lathe would be on the truck in 4-5 days. I still haven't heard from them.

Last edited:
Whilst the drawers cook, I glued and clamped the top, 2 sheets of 3/4" Baltic birch plywood.
It took a little more than a pint of Tightbond yellow glue.

clamped top_0514.JPG

I also cleaned all the ball bearing drawer guides and installed them in the case.

Franko while the drawers are out and the drawer guides are clean hit them with some dry silicone lube. When it dries up it does not attract dust etc. both PB Blaster and 3in1 offer a dry lube. It is used to lubricate garage door hinges and track.

Thanks brav. I was wondering what I should lube them with.

I spent most of the day masking the 13 drawers to paint the bottoms with truck bed paint. It is hot, so I waited until the sun went down below the trees to spray the paint. That's done now. All that's left to do is peel the masking tape and attach the runners and pull handle covers.

I got an email from Matt this afternoon and he assured me that my lathe will be on the truck next week.

mask & paint_0515.JPG

mask & paint_0517.JPG
big drawer_0516.JPG

Looking good!

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Stan.

I peeled off all the masking tape, riveted the drawer runners, squirted some Teflon on the drawer guides
and put the drawers in the box.
I'm done with the tool box. Whoo! Good Lord that was a pain in the butt. It was too dark to take a picture.

Nice work Franko. You will enjoy that box for many years to come.

Back