Pm 1228-vf-lb Lathe Preparations

Could you make an end shaped like an L, or a Z, attach it to the end of your lift to increase its lift? I have the steel.
Chuck

Franko, if you charged by the hour, that's a very expensive stand for the lathe. :) but when you DIY, the labor is always free.
We are all envious of the stand you created. Awesome work!!
I opted for the blue PM stand. I cheaped out... And I don't have enough time to do what you've done.
Cheers to a nice piece of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really appreciate that Tod. That was a very nice thing to say.

I considered the blue stand, but I really like to have drawers to keep my machine tooling in. The big area under the lathe would not have been put to as efficient use with the stock stand, and space is a premium in my small shop. And, it is very important that I be able to move the lathe.

Timing worked out well, as I did not have any paying work for the last few weeks, so I had the time and I like doing that sort of thing.

The steel, welding wire, wood, casters, attaching parts and paint cost a little more than I would have paid for a blue stand. I already had the tool box which was purchased on sale to use as a temporary kitchen counter and storage when I remodeled my kitchen a few years ago. I figured that you can't have enough tool cases and would come up with a specific use for it later. I had purchased several bottom cases at that time, and the price that I got them was less than I could have built all those drawers. I always had a plan to use them as counter tops and storage drawers for a modular shop space.

Could you make an end shaped like an L, or a Z, attach it to the end of your lift to increase its lift? I have the steel.
Chuck

I'm not sure I follow you, Chuck. Are you talking about beefing up my gantry? What part do you see as the weakness?

I don't think I can extend the motor hoist because of the size of the hydraulic jack.

Here is the photo comparison I promised someone a few days ago. Ignore the ugly guy in the blue shirt.
Without knowing the exact center height of the new lathe, I can just guess that it will be 3-4" higher than my old G-4000. The top for the new stand is 2.25" thick.

stand compare_0525.JPG

Last edited:
That is a pretty snazzy lathe stand i must say....... I think the new lathe is gonna dwarf the old one... Your gonna have to take some side by side photos...

Thanks for the height photo Franko. Both stands seem to be similar height at the moment but with the new wooden top and the extra centre height it looks as though the lathe centre will be at elbow height or a touch higher which is supposed to be just right. Let us know how you find the height after you have used the lathe for a while.

Having all those draws for tools will be great. My SC4 is on a stand with multiple draws ( but not mobile) but I have lost all that with the new Runmaster which came on its own stand with just one small cupboard at the RHE. Unfortunately the motor is in the LHE cabinet so no possibly of installing draws there. I really miss having all my tools right at the lathe.

Any word on delivery date? We are all hanging in there for you.
Ron

Thanks, Ron. It was a lot of trouble and expense but worth it, I think. Two weeks of hard work on the wheels and paint, but I didn't have anything else going and I enjoy a challenge.

I got an email from Matt Friday afternoon. He promises the lathe will be on the truck next week. That could mean Friday. :)

Thats good news, waiting is always hard.

When I first saw the final colour that you painted your chest( when it was outside) I thought that it was just a grey undercoat. Now I see the finished product inside in your latest photo I think it looks really great, VERY STYLISH and a credit to your efforts. It seems to have a burnished metal ( Titanium) look in the photo. I think it will match really well with the colours of the PM lathe and not show soiling very much. Great choice
Ron

Thanks, Ron. It is Rustoleum gray hammer finish. I don't know if you have that down under in Oz.
In the sun you can see just a touch of very small metal flake.

I hope you are having a pleasant Fall, Ron. Summer is firing up here. I turned on the window air conditioner I put in my shop for the first time yesterday. It isn't as hot as it's going to get, but it was about 90º in the shop. The AC cooled it down about 10º in a half-hour and I could feel a good cool breeze from it all the way from the back to the front of my shop.

Summer is coming. :-(

Back