Pm 1228-vf-lb Lathe Preparations

I really like your knurled handles....and both ideas I'm going to mooch....

You are welcome to it, Air Wolf. I stopped by my nut and bolt place this afternoon and picked up an assortment of coupling nuts. I'm going to put them on my bigger c-clamps.

They had some very cool c-clamps in the store. They had a quick release like the clamps on cut-off saws so you could quickly move the clamp in and out. I'm sure they were costy, but very cool. I didn't even ask.

It worries me that I'm putting so much pressure with my cross slide to knurl. I looked everywhere for the clamp-style knurler I thought I had. I must have dreamed about owning one.

I ordered a Shars that looks ok. The price is right and I've been pleased with the other Shars tools I've purchased.

Shars knurler.png

It worries me that I'm putting so much pressure with my cross slide to knurl. I looked everywhere for the clamp-style knurler I thought I had. I must have dreamed about owning one.

I ordered a Shars that looks ok. The price is right and I've been pleased with the other Shars tools I've purchased.

View attachment 106552

Hey Franko I have collected a number of different plans for knurling tools if this does not work let me know and I will send you the 4 or 5 designs I have collected.

Thanks, brav, that's a generous offer. I hope I don't have to take you up on it. :)

View attachment 106552

I have a similar scissors style knurling tool and it works very well. Most of the smaller lathes in the hobby realm do not have the rigidity/mass to push a knurl into a work piece using the compound, nor do I feel the need to stress my machine just to prove I can (or can't). The scissors type I have was purchased from a vendor in GB if I remember correctly. I have been thinking of making one of a similar design but larger so I can do bigger pieces.

It looks like the tightening screw is a little wimpy on the Shars I ordered. Grizzly had one that looked a lot more robust, but there was no info on it's max opening.

I stamped some numbers on my chuck.
I don't know why chucks don't come stamped with numbers.

The numbers on the jaws are almost invisible and unreadable. I need to figure a way to mark the chuck jaws with something I can see. Anyone ever acid etched an image on steel?

View attachment 106394

Franko, the numbers on my chuck jaw which came with my Acer 14X40 is stamped on the slot between the jaws and the scroll teeth, if that makes sense. Might check there.

Bob, I was speaking of the chuck itself. Chuck jaws do have numbers, though on mine they are barely readable.

I've heard it is best to put the jaws back in the same slots. Maybe not necessary, but it is important to put them in 1-2-3 order.

Bob, I was speaking of the chuck itself. Chuck jaws do have numbers, though on mine they are barely readable.

I've heard it is best to put the jaws back in the same slots. Maybe not necessary, but it is important to put them in 1-2-3 order.

Oh, got ya. The numbers on mine is hard to read as well. Mine is marked somewhere but I don't recall where on the chuck body.

Back