Pm-1228vf-lb

Guess I'm one of the few who prefers digital speed control. ;)

That lathe looks very similar to the one that DroPros is selling. Haven't compared specs though.
They look really close, except the DroPros (Sieg SC8) has a 1" spindle bore.

The push buttons are the only thing holding me back as well. Is there an advantage to having a D1-4 camlock mount if I use a collet chuck? I plan on using collets for most of my work, so probably won't be swapping chucks very often.

It is tough to do everything with collets. The workpiece must be within+.002" to -.005 of nominal collet size, and even if you buy a "complete" set of collets, they will be spaced every 1/64" (0.016")... which means you might find your self in between collets with nothing that fits. Not to mention that the max size you can fit in a 5C collet is 1-1/8".

Which is where swapping chucks comes in. And D1-4 cam lock is SO convenient... takes about 40 seconds to swap chucks.

btw, priced a set of 5C collets at 1/64" spacing? $500 for the cheap Chinese versions... $1600 for the good Lyndex ones.

I'd also like to know if the D1-4 camlock is a better arrangement than the mount on the 1127.

I definitely would jump on the lathe with a cam lock mount vs. direct bolt on. Way more convenient, and easier to find after market chucks.

Please do not quote me on this...

However I 'think' I remember reading the chuck mount on the 1127 is kinda unique... which means finding after-market chuck mounts may be a bit tricky.
I would research this if it were me... given this new 1228 is pretty much a slightly big brother to the 1127.

BTW: Matt, nice looking machine!

Or...you could buy a plain back chuck and make your own mounting plate with your new lathe. Just a suggestion. :)

Or...you could buy a plain back chuck and make your own mounting plate with your new lathe. Just a suggestion. :)
So Bill, you are saying that you don't prefer a cam lock mount chuck over a direct bolt chuck? :D

Yes, you can make any chuck fit a direct bolt mount with a customer back plate, but it still means you are loosening and tightening bolts (which are not conveniently accessible) every time you swap chucks... which means that you will find excuses not to swap chucks when you should because it takes too long.

Don't get me wrong, the 1127 is a great machine. But I personally would pay to size up to a machine with a cam lock chuck.

Same here, Matt sent me photos of that one (1228VF-LB) when I was first shopping.

Don't hold back on us... please, post a picture. This is the first time I have heard of the 1228 lathe. Sounds like a winner!

Did I mention I just couldn't get over those push bottons!!

If it has a commercial DC motor controller, maybe you can add a rheostat to it for speed control instead of the push buttons.

I agree with you on push buttons... want to change the speed by 400 rpm? 10 rpm + 10 rpm + 10 rpm... 40 pushes later....

Did you tell Matt you weren't crazy about the buttons?

Last edited:
I don't think the PM1127 chuck is exactly a bolt on. I don't know what it is. This is from the manual.

Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 6.35.38 PM.png

Does anyone know of a collet closer that can be used with either the 11x27 or 12x28?

Tim, you don't have to remove the bolts on a bolt on chuck?

Back