PM 1236 Oil Change

I used one of these $6 HF hand pumps to remove the oil and refilled with ISO 68 HDY Fluid after about 10 Hrs of machine time.

I am going to change it again in about another 10 hrs so I have a gage.

image_16308.jpg

image_16308.jpg

Hi guys,

Well I've searched for replacement oil, as mine looks quite black (as new) and the headstock is full of crude gunk. Not really willing to run the machine like that.

The search for the proper oil turns out to be a PITA! The only "machine" sources I could find online here in France sell 5L for about 50 euros. As I understand the machine will take almost 10L, that's an expensive oil change.

I know hydraulic fluid AW68 is a good replacement to the recommended Mobile DTE oil that I can't find here, but even that I can't find any tractor shop or whatever. France is not an industrial country anymore.

Is there a proper equivalent in the car industry ? It would be easier for me to find manual gear oil, ATF, or engine oil, etc (but only if one of those is okay for the machine).
I can also find "oil for air compressor" rather easily but they don't tell the exact specs. They just sell it as appropriate for air compressors.

Thanks for your help

Edit : best deal I've found so far is a car manual gearbox oil 75W80 or 75W90 mineral Oil for 6 euros per liter, only spec I have is API norm is GL4. Any clue if that one could be appropriate ?

Last edited:
75w80 is rear end lube and way too thick for machine use. ISO68 is about like 20w oil. I would at least try to find 20wt non-detergent (like lawn mowers, compressors, etc) oil for use in the gearbox. You'd think there would be ISO68 hydraulic oil somewhere - I'd assume there are bulldozers, front end loaders and such in use there somewhere. Cleaning out the gearbox and putting is fresh oil is worth the effort.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have a 1991 vintage Taiwanese made 12x36 lathe
It did not come with a manual when I got it so I've been sort of using the Grizzly 12x36 manual as a sub for mine.

The lathe being a 91 production and not knowing how the previous owner maintained it. In particular I am interested in the oil change. I am reading here that ISO68 is used in the gear box tank. Is this specific to the PM1236, for comparison Grizzly recommends ISO32 for the gear box.

Is the ISO68 the correct gear box lubricant for the 12x36s?

Hey,

OK I think I finally nailed it :
http://www.amazon.fr/CEPSA-640413072-Hydraulique-Minérale-Hydrauliques/dp/B00L073UD6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1411230741&sr=8-5&keywords=hydraulique+68

Can you please give it a look and confirm that would be a suitable replacement for Mobil DTE heavy medium ?

The description sounds just right, only doubt is from what they write about some additives putting it in the "HM" anti wear category. I remember reading additives should be avoided for the bronze parts in the lathe headstock but I think that was about motor oil additives, not those anti wear ones.

Thanks and cheers

edit : and BTW, why such high viscosity hydraulic oils are recommended for the PM1236 ? (ISO 100 recommended and ISO 68 if operating in cold weather).
Browsing through general oil discussion on lathe forums it seems ISO 46 is usually the maximum that is mentioned.
Just curious

Lastly is any of those (hydraulic oil ISO 46 or ISO 68) suitable as a way oil ? If yes then I'll probably pic one oil for all the machine lubrification needs

Last edited:
For Austin, ISO68 should be fine. Tractor Supply has it -$25 for 2 gallon jug. I would not call ISO68 high viscosity. More like 20w oil. Pretty thin stuff. I put it in the oil can and use it on everything. I would use it on a grizzley 12x36. They called for 20w in my mill, I would use ISO also.

Last edited:
For Austin, ISO68 should be fine. Tractor Supply has it -$25 for 2 gallon jug. I would not call ISO68 high viscosity. More like 20w oil. Pretty thin stuff. I put it in the oil can and use it on everything. I would use it on a grizzley 12x36. They called for 20w in my mill, I would use ISO also.

Thank you.

If I read this right (not) its great for separating pollutants, resists deposits, protects corrosion, they are unsure of capacity and provides resistance to mice. My French is rough. ( non-existant). Le Amazon to the rescue. Sounds like the right stuff.

• Grande capacité de séparation de polluants par l’eau (désémulsibilité). Haute résistance à la mousse. Haute capacité anti-usure. Résistance à la formation de boues et de dépôts. Excellente protection contre la corrosion et la rouille.

If I read this right (not) its great for separating pollutants, resists deposits, protects corrosion, they are unsure of capacity and provides resistance to mice. My French is rough. ( non-existant). Le Amazon to the rescue. Sounds like the right stuff.

• Grande capacité de séparation de polluants par l’eau (désémulsibilité). Haute résistance à la mousse. Haute capacité anti-usure. Résistance à la formation de boues et de dépôts. Excellente protection contre la corrosion et la rouille.

High capacity for emulsification of water. Resists foaming. Wear resistant. Resists deposits.
Protects against corrosion.

Back