Pm-1440e-lb Due To Arrive

I did and left them a message. They just might have a branch in Atlanta which is only an hour and a half away. It sure would be worth it.

Hello N2XD: Welcome to THM forums. The info i could offer you is in the form of a caution. Keep the boom of your engine hoist as short as possible and watch for obstructions like cracks or tools on the floor.
It took me forever to move an F. E.Reed lathe off of the truck and into its general position.
That was only 15 feet in total.
View attachment 137961

lk

Yeah I was going to say the same thing - you can't be in a hurry trying to move a big piece of equipment, that's when things go wrong. I found a come-along and a pallet jack to be useful. The come-along gives you a nice controlled pull.

I set mine with an unmodified HF 2 ton shop crane. I would not recommend it. The spread of the legs is not wide enough to get any useful angle on the lathe. If you have access to welding I would suggest modifying the legs so they can straddle the machine. I did something like this http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/frankos-hf-engine-hoist-mod.39516/ and feel it would have made placing my e-lb actually safe.

I did find a local home shop gentleman with a Gantry that I could borrow if needed. Looking at delivery Monday so we shall see how it goes.

Well after doing some changing with the shipper the lathe was delivered Friday. However the lift gate on the truck would not work unless it was on level ground. So it is now on the upper part of the driveway. I'm having a skid steer machine brought up tomorrow that will have the lifting capacity to move the machine down to the shop. This will work out even better because I will be able to have the basic crate lifted of the pallet so I will be able to unpack in a safe manner. Nobody said this was going to be easy.

Yup, take your time and do it right. Time spent being patient and calculating making planned moves makes for an uneventful and safe placement of heavy equipment. It would very much suck if something got damaged or somebody gets hurt because someone got into a rush.

Amazing what can be done with the prober equipment. All I have to do is cut the pallet and lift the ends to remove. The machine is in position. Now all I have to wire up the area for the mill and lathe.

yes I find that as I get older the less exciting the better. I do plan on modifying the legs on the engine hoist as was suggested. I think that would be a good plan for the future.

Well we are all wired and ready to go on the lathe and mill. have everything ready for the welder and other equipment. Now I have to move everything into position and start the cleaning and lube.

Back