PM-1440GT Motor

tomxl650

Registered
Registered
After a month run on the machine everything was fine until today, I was turning and running about 510 RPM about 10-15 minutes started to smell and smokes came from the back of the motor. It makes a weird noise and clicking. The motor was way hot I used a fan blow and cool it down. I turned it back on the White Light came on but soon I started it popped a noise all shutdowns.

At this point, I have no clue what is going on with Lathe and will call PM in the morning. If anyone has any idea, the reason or experience with it.
I do appreciate it.

Sorry to hear. Sounds like she had a thermal event

I unplug it from the outlet and will discuss with PM in the morning. I have mentioned to PM day after I got it. The motor seems to be hot after ran for few minutes. My worry is light panel off and hope it's not burning circuit board. I hope it has auto-safety off.

Perhaps centrifugal switch failed to disconnect start winding?

There is no circuit board, most likely the thermal overload went open or possibly a fuse went. It would turn the power light off. The thermal overload switch should reset after it cools, but a fuse will stay open. You can open the control panel to see if anything smells or appears burnt, but very doubtful that it would be damaged. Sounds like an issue with the motor, they should run quite cool. As mentioned if the centrifugal switch did not release or a motor capacitor went it could cause the motor to run rough and/or get hot and not run. Possibly a motor short if the winding overheated. Three phase motors are more durable then single phase.

I checked voltage 240v barely run over 510 RPM (which I am new to this world) the motor it was running hot that I mentioned to PM tech the day after I got it. The belt seems wasn't tight either. Which I read many people complained on the other PM machine model.
I hope PM can help me to get it running ASAP.

I'm sure they will help as quickly as possible. You will have to do the diagnosis but they should be able to tell you what needs to be done. Might also help to offer to send pictures of the issue if they want them.

Back