PM-1440GT Motor

I just learned something reset all breakers, the light on the panel is ON. When i press JOG button it made a noise, but circuit breaker doesn't bound but I have reset circuit break on the panel. There is something shorted somewhere.

Sounds like the motor is toast- is the lathe still in warranty?

Brand new lathe it ran after 1 month. I talked to PM Tech they said maybe capacitor failure (i hope), but I have to test it.

Motors run on smoke and bad smells, if you let that out they stop working.
PM will take care of it and i would hope for a replacement motor not just a cap.
take this opportunity to install a 3 ph motor and a VFD.

I tested Capacitor is reading 1.1ohm PM is sending a new capacitor. I hope this will fix it.
I like to convert it to 3ph/vfd but i have no clue where to start it.

May just be a bad cap, but if it happens again the internal centrifugal switch is not working correctly- that switch is supposed to
disconnect the start cap when the motor gets up to speed- if it doesn't, the capacitor can overheat and fail. Let us know.

You can (carefully) measure the AC voltage at the cap when the motor is at speed. It should be 0 if the switch is working
If the cap has no bleeder resistor the voltage may fall slowly to 0- several minutes in some cases
Use of clip leads is recommended for safety when doing this

Last edited:
May just be a bad cap, but if it happens again the internal centrifugal switch is not working correctly- that switch is supposed to
disconnect the start cap when the motor gets up to speed- if it doesn't, the capacitor can overheat and fail. Let us know.

You can (carefully) measure the AC voltage at the cap when the motor is at speed. It should be 0 if the switch is working
If the cap has no bleeder resistor the voltage may fall slowly- several minutes in some cases
Use of clip leads is recommended for safety when doing this
Thank you and will keep you all posted.
Here is my question: how hot when is running? I noticed the motor is running way too hot before cap failed.

Hard to tell if the motor heat was indicating a winding problem or if the internal switch is in fact bad
That's why measuring the cap voltage right after replacement would be a good idea

Last edited:
I wasn't planning to take the motor off, but PM is sending Centrifugal Switch and Contact (CSC). I hope will get CAP / CSC tomorrow to get the lathe up and run again, I hope. The PM support is awesome and wants to do it right for the customer all I can tell you.

I was struggling almost an hour off the frame just one bolt to take the bottom left inside near the fan motor. Is there a better way to go back?

Back