PM-1440GT Motor

It's rare to have a winding problem but it happens
The way they mass-produce these the windings get really brutalized during manufacture- occasionally they
nick one and cause a short. Factory is supposed to catch this but sometimes slips thru
Good thing PM has your back

Last edited:
Sweet, Baldor may be the only small US made motor left. I've seen 10hp packed into a 90 frame motor and they are very susceptible to failure. Dave

Cool- looks like you are getting a free upgrade ;)
It's rare to have a winding problem but it happens
The way they mass-produce these the windings get really brutalized during manufacture- occasionally they
nick one and cause a short. Factory is supposed to catch this but sometimes slips thru
Good thing PM has your back
I researched and talked to many companies before I decided on the lathe brand. During this period I called PM never hit to the voicemail vs other companies either voicemail or email. PM Customer Serivce or Tech are very friendly and helpful.

After many times discussion with PM then I finalized on the PM-1440GT model. I am glad I went with PM.

Motors run on smoke and bad smells, if you let that out they stop working.
PM will take care of it and i would hope for a replacement motor not just a cap.
take this opportunity to install a 3 ph motor and a VFD.
Is there outline or guidance to convert Single phase motor to 3ph VFD and still use stock contactor control?
I have been reading on it but I am very new to this world. Would be great I can setup likes this to my PM1440gt

Cannot run a single phase motor on a 3 phase output VFD. There is a post on how to use the contactors to operate the VFD low voltage run inputs search 1440GT basic VFD install to find the thread. The VFD output must be directly wired to the motor.

I received and installed Baldor wired but I didn't mount it into lathe yet. I called PM Tech and go to thru all wiring to make sure everything is right before turn it on. At first, the white light is ON but lathe doesn't want to run.

Here are all steps we have done.
1. PM Tech has walked me to check eStop, Brake Switch, Start Switch at the of the bed everything seems correct.
2. PM Tech asked to press Forward / Reverse on the Contact the motor is spending fine. At this time I felt much better.
3. PM Tech asked to reset 2 Circuit Breakers.
4. Finally, PM-1440GT is live and running fine. I noticed the new motor seems smoother.

Again, PM & Tech is awesome. They would do anything to help me to fix defected motor.

Last edited:
Back