PM-1440GT VFD control system builds for Hitachi WJ200 and Yaskawa GA500

mksj

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I was asked to to make two complete replacement controls systems for the PM-1440GT, both were designed to mount the VFD in the headstock cabinet in front of the bulkhead so everything is self contained within the cabinet. There are some differences in the circuit design depending on the VFD used, these days I prefer to do the build these systems for the Yaskawa GA500, as it seems to perform slightly better than the WJ200 in this particular lathe. Both systems are designed around use of the proximity stop system which uses a long range (3X) sensor allowing threading speeds of 600-700 RPM for a 10-12 pitch thread, the stopping repeatability is typically better than 0.001". It is most useful for threading, but also works well for blind boring and close in work near the chuck. There is 2-3 levels in stopping redundancy in the control system design, but nothing is 100% so proper awareness and safety needs to always be used.

Recent PM-1440GT control system install using the Yaskawa GA500 by Jake P.

The design of the control systems includes low level 24VDC control wiring on the upper half of the board, and the high voltage (240VAC) is on the lower half, with HV cabling in chase on the right side. All the control cables and motor cable are shielded, they are grounded according to the application. All grounding terminates at the VFD. I still use relay designs, as they have proven to be very reliable and more cost effective then using a programmed controller. There is a coolant contactor which by default is wired for an a 24VDC air solenoid system, but also has the option of running the stock flood coolant or through the barrel coolant motor up to 1/2 Hp. There is a breaker that feeds the power supply, but also could be used for 120/240VAC sub systems, the VFD power is routed through 30A CC fuses. These systems include a tachometer and I mount the speed pot in the same enclosure, I like to use a mil-spec 3 turn pot. Sourcing parts has been a big problem for everyone, so for some parts I have gone to other suppliers and their costs have gone up significantly with increased shipping costs.

The Yaskawa GA500 PM-1440GT control system, I built the micrometer stop, as PM/QMT was out of stock. I have built both the stock design and a shorter body design which gives more travel and is a bit over 1 " shorter, so allows closer work near the headstock.

Always glad when these are done, shipped off an installed, usually takes me 2-3 weeks and many hours to source the parts to do these builds.
Mark

PM-1440GT Yasakawa GA500 VFD Control System
PM-1440GT Yasakawa GA500 Control System .jpg

PM-1440GT Hitachi WJ200 VFD Control System
PM-1440GT Hitachi WJ200 Control System.jpg

System with labels.
PM-1440GT Hitachi WJ200 Control System 2.jpg

Stock Micrometer Stop vs. Custom with proximity sensor holder
Stock Micrometer Stop vs. Custom.jpg

I'm impressed you can still find enough components to put a system together! I need a 3 pole 24v ice cube relay for a random project and it seems they are made of hens teeth!

Looks good Mark. I feel fortunate that you were able to build my control system for my 1440.

Hi Mark
Hope all is well. I have talked to you before I think back in March and had ordered a 1340GT to arrive here in Aug, which has changed. So back in March, I changed my order to a PM1440TL. My question for you is this, have you ever set up the VFD/electronics for this model before. I would think it would be close, just a bigger VFD. I have also thought of a American Rotary Phase converter to get things going fast. Any thoughts?

Hi Mark
Hope all is well. I have talked to you before I think back in March and had ordered a 1340GT to arrive here in Aug, which has changed. So back in March, I changed my order to a PM1440TL. My question for you is this, have you ever set up the VFD/electronics for this model before. I would think it would be close, just a bigger VFD. I have also thought of a American Rotary Phase converter to get things going fast. Any thoughts?
Mark helped me put together the wiring diagram and VFD for my 1440TL. I have a couple of videos of it on YouTube you can watch and if you want I can send you the wiring diagrams and parts list. Most items I can send through the PM system here just not the Excel file so if interested PM your email and I will send what I have for you. Awesome lathe, you are going to love it.

You guys are killing me, I really want a 1440TL! It's just a little too big for me to load and unload for each new job. On top of that, I rent my tool package to the jobs I'm on, I'd hate to let other people use it. I'll just have to stick with the 1340 Jet for now...

Yes, I have done VFD builds for the 1440TL, and one can also do the basic install. It also would be very similar to the 1440C as a system install (same VFD enclosure setup), and as BIIB has outlined in his post and also did a nice video. I can help you with the VFD settings depending on which one you are going with. RPC is plug and play, but the 5Hp motor will spool up very quickly and you need to use the manual brake for stopping.

The Acra 1440C is about midway between the 1340GT and the 1440TL, it uses a D1-4 chuck mount, and CXA tool post. Price wise it is about midway between the two, weight wise it is around 2400 lbs.

Yes, I have done VFD builds for the 1440TL, and one can also do the basic install. It also would be very similar to the 1440C as a system install (same VFD enclosure setup), and as BIIB has outlined in his post and also did a nice video. I can help you with the VFD settings depending on which one you are going with. RPC is plug and play, but the 5Hp motor will spool up very quickly and you need to use the manual brake for stopping.

The Acra 1440C is about midway between the 1340GT and the 1440TL, it uses a D1-4 chuck mount, and CXA tool post. Price wise it is about midway between the two, weight wise it is around 2400 lbs.
Roger that. Thanks mksj and BladesIIBe. It is supposed to be here end of July now. It has left Taiwan and goes to the PC next. Then from there to Baltimore. and of course, then Pitt to get QC'd and some installs. Unfortunately, I bought some things to set up the 1340GT so i will have to get rid of my VFD for that and get the bigger one.

I have put several prox stopped vfd systems together over the years since reading about it in HSM in 08 if I remember correctly. I very much like your micrometer stops. Mine were all just a straight block mounted to the ways that took some fiddling.

Back