PM-1440GT VFD control system builds for Hitachi WJ200 and Yaskawa GA500

I prefer to do the build these systems for the Yaskawa GA500, as it seems to perform slightly better than the WJ200 in this particular lathe.
Now that my PM-1440GT is on the way, I'm starting to really dig into the VFD conversion. I have been reading all your posts and recommendations on this subject. Thank you for all the great information.

The quote above caught my eye. The prices are close enough that it doesn't matter, but I was leaning toward the WJ200 just because I can find the most community support and general information about it. Is the performance gain on the Yaskawa worth it? What are the specific performance gains? Keep in mind, I haven't converted a 1,000 of these like you have, so pretend you are not as knowledgeable as you are. :D

The Yaskawa drives tend to be less glitchy than the Hitachi WJ200 when driving the stock 1440GT motor, and I seem to be able to dial them in a bit better (motor control) in other applications. More that I find them easier to use and wire in, they have some additional programming parameters (like emergency stop) that is not available on the Hitachi, and I do not need to deal with using diodes with source configuration to implement the jog which I use on the WJ200. They may be slightly more reliable (we are talking after decades). The software works better than the Hitachi.

The Yaskawa GA500 (and GA800 which has a full display) line are there newer entry level VFD's, I presume are replacements for the V1000 line. They have a USB connection for programming where the V1000 required a custom RJ45 to serial (and serial to USB) interface. They are both very good VFD's and very good reliability. I have also done a limited number of builds with the Automation Direct GS20/GS21 VFD's which are a quite good and a less expensive option for those on a tight budget, and much better that the generic VFD's. I have not installed them on the 1440GT, but have installed them on other lathes.

I have recommended programming parameters for quite a few different VFD's in different applications, so I can provide a starting parameter set in most cases, providing I have the time. On a lathe that is new the easiest implementation is what I previously described as the basic installs for lathes like the 1340/1440GT which retain the stock interlocks/safety features, but does require some rewiring for the VFD. The main difference between the WJ200 and say the GA500 and GS21, is the latter two the Jog is a single programmed input for each direction, and they can be wired in with an the E-Stop to execute a fast stop input. Programming software for Yaskawa and Automation Direct VFD's is much better than the Hitachi in my opinion, but they all work adequately if you want to program them via computer and do some fine tuning (providing you are familiar with the parameters).

VFD's on lathes are typically run in Constant Torque (CT), Heavy Duty (HD) mode, Sensorless Vector Mode (SLV, FOC or similar); you need to check that the VFD ratings you are installing meet or exceed the amperage requirements of your motor with all deraratings applied.

Yaskawa Drives (3 Hp Single Phase Input, most three phase 3Hp motors are 8-9A so the GA50UB010ABA should be fine)
Single Phase Input: GA50UB010ABA, GA50UB012ABA
Three Phase Input Run in Derated Mode: GA50U2021ABA
GA50UB010ABA = $407 but need to check inventory and they may stick you on shipping. Higher $amount at other sites.

Hitachi WJ200-022SF = $360 plus shipping

Automation Direct DURApulse GS20 line
GS21-23P0 GS20 series AC general purpose drive, enclosed, 230 VAC, 3hp with 1-phase input = $253

GS23-27P5 GS20 series AC general purpose drive, enclosed, 230 VAC, 7-1/2hp with 3-phase input, 3-1/2hp with 1-phase input = $418

This is excellent! Thank you! I think the Yaskawa is the way I will go then. Most things I tend to want a bit of extra headroom, would it be wise to step up to the 12A rather than the 10A version? The 12A appears to be a little over $100 more. Again, I don't want to waste money, but I'm okay with paying a bit more upfront if it's wise.

I'm not sure what they mean by normal duty vs heavy duty output? Is that a motor rating?

1696616531541.png

Stock motor is 9.6A, replacement Marathon E470 motor is 8.0A, so the GA50UB012ABA is a better match for the stock motor. Yes, you can get by with ND, but do not have the same overload headroom as you would in HD based on the Yaskawa ratings. Most of the time this is not needed, but with heavy (large diameter/deep) continuous turning then you are better off in HD mode. These days it is a bit more of a grey area as to duty cycle, and this also effects any other deratings. Unlikely to be in the 150%+ duty for any length of time, and beyond that level I only recommend that for inverter/vector type motor, but when sizing a VFD for mills and lathes I usually size in the highest duty rating and motor output at this setting. Last two 1440GT's with GA500 installs I did go with the GA50UB012ABA. On my 3Hp lathe I am using the GA50U2021ABA so it I can run it on single or 3 phase input power.

Hitachi SJP1

1696619434931.png

Back