Pm-1440gt

I do want to keep the mechanical brake which sounds like is possible.

+++1

The mechanical brake is the e-stop of choice for your lathe. And who knows, it could save your life someday. I couldn't imagine running a lathe without a brake.

That would be the correct model for single phase input, 3Hp 3 phase output continuous torque/sensorless vector. Surprised about the comment on the WJ200 having mixed reviews, they are very durable, the programming can be a PTA but once running I have not heard of any issues.

The WJ200 needs two commands to JOG in a direction, the JOG just sets the frequency (6 Hz is the default), the second command needs to be a direction. This is usually accomplished with a one way diode between between the JOG terminal and the Forward or Reverse terminal. This is a common request I often get and currently I have been using a 2 way joystick to momentarily jog forward or reverse. A matter of preference.

The usual E-Stop in VFD systems would interrupt the VFD run inputs and implementing rapid braking. I see no reason to kill the system power, as this defeats the VFD safety features. Usual protocol is to have a main power disconnect switch, followed by a fuse or breaker, which then power the VFD. If there is that much current that you need to kill the power, then a breaker or fuse will trip long before you get to it. As mentioned, many machines use a momentary switch to activate a contactor to apply system power. most likely this is much easier then pulling power to the the front of the machine, and the contactor can be wired into other safety systems. I would just put a two pole switch on the machine and keep it simple.

Many of the parts I usually get from AutomationDirect, they have a wide selection and they have 2 day delivery, so most of the process is figuring out what you need. A few things like the brake resistor is from China, so those are worth ordering in advance as they can take 2-3 weeks to get here. I can provide a list of usual sources. As mentioned, you will need a 24VDC power supply 60-100W to run the relays, tach and possibly lights if you go that route. Also a step down converter for 12 VDC components like the tach and 12V lighting.

Last but not least, if you have a VFD with low voltage controls I do recommend using some form of electronic carriage stop that is fastened to your you micrometer stop. This can be something as simple as a plunger limit switch, or an electronic hall sensor. I have posted different designs, there is a number of ways to add this feature.

Probably best to send me a PM with your email, and I can work with you on your system. I am starting a new system build, and have to follow up on a few out in the field, so it may be 2-3 weeks until I can get the details to you.

Please also consider where you are going to mount the VFD and the associated infrastructure, like breakers/fuse, disconnect switch, location of power supply, etc. There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle, depending on what you want to do. This shows some of the build components to consider: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-did-you-do-in-your-shop-today.14637/page-327

Mark

Mark,

Thank you for your offer to help.

I will send you my email and look through the various schematics you have posted. As for component layout I'll have to figure that out when I get the machine and have it placed. That will not be difficult to do once I have it in front of me.

Jay

Well I'm committed now. My old lathe just drove away. What amazed me was it was listed for less than 12 hours before it was sold and left my garage and I got my price with no haggling.

Now I will be going through withdrawals while waiting for the new lathe to arrive.......

Yesterday I emailed a supplier I've used over the years for various projects about getting a Hitachi VFD. I get discounts because they are a sponsor for the high school robotics team I help mentor. I got an "I'll check" response and then figured I would give him a few days to get back to me but to my surprise DHL delivered a new WJ200-022SF while I was helping the buyer of my lathe load it into his truck. How awesome is that!

20160311_175409.png

New chucks arrived today. I was seriously looking at some of the higher dollar chucks but my budget is pretty much stretched so I went with the Gator Chucks as a compromise. I chose not to get the Chucks PM offers with the lathe because I wanted an adjustable 3-jaw and a 4-jaw with 2-piece jaws. After I get the lathe and do a few jobs I might look at a higher quality 6-jaw to add to the set.

First is a Gator 4-jaw direct mount. Looks decent. I was a little disappointed by the rust spot on the back. Looks like something was spilled on it that was corrosive. It is not a big spot and it cleaned up okay by scraping and honing with a hard stone. The jaws feel good in the chuck but some of that may be due to the excessive amount of grease they put in. The chuck has some manufacturing grit in the cam lock pin holes. I will have to disassemble and clean before use. I expected a little better QC for the price. I'm thrilled to finally have a 4-jaw chuck with 2-piece jaws.
20160314_205644.jpg 20160314_205842.jpg 20160314_205909.jpg 20160314_205927.jpg 20160314_210732.jpg 20160314_210854.jpg

Next is a Gator 3-jaw "Adjust Tru". Much better fit and finish than the 4-jaw despite being made in China. Scroll feels good but again some of that may be the grease though not quite as much as the 4-jaw. The adjusting screws are nice and large which is good. I find it interesting that there are only three mounting screws. My 6" Interstate set-tru chuck from Enco has six. No grit on this chuck or the adapter. I will still disassemble and clean to get rid of the excessive grease in the works. Final opinion on both chucks to be determined when I can get them on the lathe and test.

20160314_203001.jpg 20160314_203020.jpg 20160314_203135.jpg 20160314_203219.jpg 20160314_203537.jpg 20160314_203643.jpg 20160314_203827.jpg 20160314_203918.jpg 20160314_205019.jpg 20160314_205516.jpg

Here is the new 8" 3-jaw/D1-5 Gator next to my old 6" 3-jaw/D1-4 Interstate. This Interstate is actually a really nice chuck and repeats as well as the claims of some of the high dollar chucks. I was not going to keep the Interstate because they do not make a D1-5 adapter for this chuck but now seeing them side by side I may make or modify an existing adapter for the D1-5 and keep it.

20160314_205229.jpg 20160314_205349.jpg

Ugh, back is already complaining. A 10" or 12" chuck would require a hoist.

I feel your pain. I can still lift my 8" PBA set-tru, but I don't know for how much longer. :)

All I can say is WOW! Mark. This is over the top. Thank you.

You'll get used to it...he (mksj) and Mike (zmotorsports) do it all the time. They're taken advantage of and abused by us completely green newbies [not saying you are too] all the time on here, and they keep on giving.:grin:

Which reminds me that I owe a new feedback thread with pics and a video on here for all the work I've done in my shop, specifically my PM1340GT "Mark/Mike cloan" setup. I just work hit and miss on it, so there is a lot of dead space/time. But I am just getting ready to launch "Dunn Precision Rifles" with my first complete custom build, which will involve a lot of work with the PM1340GT, action truing, barrel chambering, etc., so I'll put some effort into a Hobby Machinist update someday "soon" boys. (could be a month or two).

RIO

It has been an almost perfect storm getting ready for the new lathe.

With two kids in college and half way through a remodel I didn't want to pull any funds from the household budget so it meant selling off "stuff" I've had for years left over from other hobbies or my construction business. I figured it would take several months to sell off and then I would order a lathe.

Starting in January, in less than eight weeks I had raised enough capital to purchase the lathe, set aside a budget for additional tooling / VFD conversion plus paid for some vet bills on the dog and to have my sons wisdom teeth extracted. Selling the old lathe so quickly also caught be by surprise. At my asking price I figured it would list for several weeks or more before it sold or I would have to start reducing the price. Gone in 12 hours, go figure. This has left a huge hole in my capacity and created an unusually large open area of my normally standing room only garage (great vigilance is required to fend off the "creep" into the void).

Mark (mksj) has been over-the-top helpful and already has done me a preliminary schematic for the VFD conversion. Gotta love this forum for all the great resources and FRIENDLY help!

I do side work for a few manufacturing companies that throw me one-off jobs that are generally to small for their overhead. The new larger lathe will increase my capacity to take on larger/more work and do it quicker. So far I've had to turn down two lathe jobs, used the school lathe for a few and invaded a friends place for a weekend for another. For even the normal stuff I'm surprised at how many times I have been working on something that I could have used the lathe for.

I nudged Matt over the weekend to see if he had any new information on the lathe but nothing yet. Oh and he emailed me back on the same day!

Matt- take a day off!!! Being self-employed myself I know what it's like.

"Gotta love this forum for all the great resources and FRIENDLY help!"

Yes this is a great site with almost none of the typical bickering I see elsewhere. There are bigger machinist sites that get a lot more traffic but you need to put on waders to get thru all of the BS. Glad I found this place.:D

"Gotta love this forum for all the great resources and FRIENDLY help!"

Yes this is a great site with almost none of the typical bickering I see elsewhere. There are bigger machinist sites that get a lot more traffic but you need to put on waders to get thru all of the BS. Glad I found this place.:D

I completely agree. Great group of people here.

Mike.

Reactions: RIO
Back