Pm-1440gt

The cross slide travel is only 6.4" and not the 7-1/2" in the specs. This one irritates me the most as a 14" swing lathe should have at least 7" of cross travel.

My 14x40 G0709 has 6.5" of travel. I only think you will find lathes with more cross slide that have a significantly wider bed.

Even the Jet 1440W (10.5" bed) has on 6.5".

The Grizzly G0509G does manage 8.5" travel (10.5" bed), and the Jet 1440ZX (13.375" bed) has 9" of travel.

I know it is irritating to be expecting something different based upon the spec sheet, but you will be hard pressed to find an asian lathe of this size (i.e., 7.5" bed) with more than 6.5" of travel.

The G0509G was on my short list. I think it is a lot of lathe for the money. 1500 lbs heavier, one-piece cast iron base, 10" ways, D1-6 spindle, 2" spindle bore

Every time I stop by the Grizzly showroom, I kick myself for not spending another $3K and getting the G0509G.

I suspect that the fit and finish on your lathe is a lot better than the G0509G. And I am under the strong hunch that the Grizzly showroom machines are all the original manufacturers, and what comes out of the crate now days is nowhere near as nice as what is on the show room floor. IIRC< grizzly changed the manufacturer of their gunsmith lathes about 4 years ago.

Would be awesome if Matt started offering one piece cast iron bases as an option. It would be an excellent upgrade.

My 14x40 G0709 has 6.5" of travel. I only think you will find lathes with more cross slide that have a significantly wider bed.

There are plenty of 14" lathes with this size bed and 7" of cross slide travel. Mat still advertises it as 7-1/2". I have made him aware that the specs are not correct more than once but it seems to fall on deaf ears. This was one of the selling points for me. Not the only one but one of them.

There are plenty of 14" lathes with this size bed and 7" of cross slide travel.
How about an example of a 14x40 lathe with a 7.5" wide bed that has 7.5" of cross slide travel?

It isn't the swing of the lathe that controls the cross-slide travel but the width of the bed.

I gave you a couple examples that don't, couldn't find any that do.

I have spent a lot of time on a Jet 1660ZX (9" cross slide travel), and didn't find the extra cross slide travel any more useful than the 6.5" I have on the G0709. The problem is that the extra inches of cross slide travel are all out in front of centerline, which only helps turning a large diameter object (14"), which 100% of the time I never did.

Last edited:
ACRA 1400, Willis 1340, Bolton BT1440G-3, Acer 1440E to name a few.

I'm not sure how you never needing to use more than 6.5" of travel has anything to do with the type of work I do?

Hi
My lathe is a 1440 but only has 8.3/4" over the cross slide.
1/2 of that is 4.3/8", so 6.1/2" to 7" should be all you need. lol
but i all-ways need more. lol

jeff

I'm not sure how you never needing to use more than 6.5" of travel has anything to do with the type of work I do
Why do you need 7.5" of cross slide travel? Are you trying to turn something exactly 14" in diameter? Even with 6.5", the lead screw is centered forward of centerline, so get should full travel on the diameter of the part you are turning.

Not sure what you are losing in capability with a 1" less cross slide travel than you expected.

What ever I might want to do that is within my work envelope.

I have done large worm wheels, modified large sprockets, made or modified pressure vessel caps and other assorted jobs all requiring facing at or near the full travel.

So I guess you think it is okay to sell a product with one set of specifications and deliver a product that is not as advertised?

For comparison purposes, my Acer 14X40 E-Lathe has 9" ways and 8 inch cross slide travel.

I changed that spec on the sheet as soon as you told me it was wrong. I missed one, sorry about that, I made a mistake. I made that sheet up before we had them in the warehouse here. If it wont work for you because of that, of course you can exchange towards one that will.

Well I guess I changed the top link on the page, but the bottom link was still going to the old spec sheet, but its all fixed now. That Acer is a different machine, its a heavier frame, our 1440TS has 8" of cross travel, but its a larger / heavier frame (and higher priced) machine.

Back