Pm-1640hd. Anyone Have Any Experience With One?

Cmesler

Registered
Registered
Recently ordered a pm1640hd from Matt and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one. I haven't found much information on the 1640 or 1660hd other than some older posts about a 1440hd. I'm sure the machine is going to be everything I expect it to be. But it never hurts to ask.
Thanks, CJ

Can't help from the experience perspective, but we sure would like to see pics of that bad boy when you get it! :D

There will be plenty of pictures uploaded once I take delivery. Hopefully will be able to help some others that are interested in a bigger machine.

Oh, I was interested in a larger machine...I just don't have a place for one. :)

Space isn't really an issue. My decision really came down to I wanted a 16" machine and a hefty one. Would have been nice to have the rml made in Taiwan lathe but it started at closer to 12 and the variable speed was closer to 16. The reason I went with the 40 is I figured for the price of the 60 I could get the 40 with a DRO installed and still be under 10.:D

Well as the wait for the lathe draws close to the end. I called QMT yesterday and spoke to Matt to check on the progress and he said he had a few pictures to ease the wait.
Hard to tell actual size from the pictures but it is a haus none the less.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Well I have no issues with determining scale: Unless that guy in the first pic is less that 4' tall, that is one big honking lathe!

I look forward to your pics and impressions once you get your hands on it and get it running. :)

Not Fair! You got pictures!!!!!

The 1640HD looks like a beast.

The RML-1640 was high on my list but the cost of the machine plus the extra electrical work and I would need more tooling since it would make my current tooling seem too puny put me back to the 1440GT. Oh and the cost of a hoist for the 10" and 12" chucks and ....

Bill - if he is closer to 5' tall it is even bigger!

Your right, I got the 'perspective' thing backwards... :rolleyes:

That was my first thought is that he must be 4' tall. I wasn't expecting the pictures but I guess Matt enjoys teasing the weak minded lol.
I really wanted the rml-1640 especially the variable speed model but I just could not part with extra coin.

Back