PM-1640TL VFD Options

Let me start by saying I figured out the shielded control wiring thing. Nearly all of the panels I've seen are fairly simple and I couldn't wrap my head around why someone would use single conductor shielded MTW for the control wiring. Well, you wouldn't, but a multi-conductor cable with overall shield would be a really good thing which is what I believe the Yaskawa manual was on about. Any noise you can keep off of your single-ended signaling wires is a benefit. My narrow perspective made it more difficult to understand is all, lesson learned.

I've been doing a bunch more reading, there should be an mksj archive set up somewhere to house his prolific detailed documentation on the hundreds of projects he has helped people with so it's not all spread out. I think I have a fair understanding of the GA500 now (which arrived today) and the PM-1640TL (departed Omaha as of tonight, scheduled for delivery this Friday). There are a million ways to accomplish a VFD-based control system and it's easy to get caught up in what I call "Creeping Featurism", so for now I decided to shoot for a minimalist setup. That will get me up and running sooner rather than later, increase the odds that I won't run into space restrictions (I haven't laid eyes on the cabinet space yet), and allow me to gain some experience with the machine before I wander off down the rabbit hole of additional features. My goal is full safe operation of the machine as it would be from the factory if I had the right 3-phase power, and limit extra features unless they're almost more difficult to avoid implementing.

Objective defined, it was time to start with the diagrams to define the logic. My default option there is Altium Designer which I use for my PCB designs because I'm familiar with making symbols and schematics with it, but it's definitely not the right tool for control panel schematics. My searching around came up with a program called SkyCad out of Canada, which is PC based and has a free with registration license for un-professionals like me. It's not exactly what I'd call intuitive, as in sit down and crank out a schematic in an hour, but part of that is likely that I've never had to draw a diagram like this before and I still have difficulty understanding some of the symbols in the schematics I've seen so it's all new to me. The biggest issue I've had with it is there don't seem to be a lot of symbols defined for the types of components I'd need, which might be because I lean towards a whole relay as one component not a coil and individual sets of contacts spread out across multiple pages. Probably my fault. But they have some decent tutorial videos and once you get a handle on how to create a custom symbol you can make it what you want. It's what I'd call a little clunky compared to the other CAD software I've used, but overall it didn't crash on me and it looks like with some adjustments on my assumptions and some more experience it could be a decent way to produce simple control panel schematics. I'm not affiliated with SkyCad, I just figured I'd relate my experience so far in case any of you wanted to document your changes or builds and like me didn't have a good way of doing so. The very rough first draft I came up with:

draft1-png.476310
Draft1.png

My plan is from the disconnect, to one circuit breaker for the VFD and one for the coolant pump. The drive gets an EMI filter, which there was no symbol for and I didn't want to draw one up, so I just used a 2-pole surge suppressor symbol. The VFD has a built-in 24VDC supply with 150mA to spare. The DPDT power relay I'm eyeballing has a coil draw of 20mA max, and I believe the loss from the minimal wiring (18 AWG MTW or shielded cable equivalent) should keep me away from the limit, but that's TBD for sure. The jumper from SN to SC as shown put the drive in "Source" mode, meaning the external controls source the voltage (from the drive's power supply) to make an input active, and a lack of voltage makes an input inactive or off. The alternative "Sink" mode would mean connecting an input to the common (0VDC from the drive's supply) would make a contact on or active so it could go either way, but I lean towards positive logic instead of negative logic so that was my arbitrary choice barring any overriding reason others of you may know about that I don't yet. Incidentally the whole source and sink terminology gets confusing, it helps to look at the input and output diagrams in the manual and reference NPN and PNP transistor logic to make sure you get it right.

At power-up, even if the E-stop is not pushed (it's in its normally closed contact state) and the spindle is in the forward or reverse position, the drive will not start up and power the motor unless you specifically set that auto-restart option in the settings. The lever would need to be moved to the stop position to "remove the run command" in Yaskawa parlance, and only then would the drive recognize an additional run command. I could have provided that functionality with one relay that used the STOP signal from the lever to latch, but with the functionality already present and a minimalist objective in mind I don't see a reason to go there.

It seems like the intended design of the H1 and H2 safe torque off inputs (and associated HC common terminal) is to be connected to the E-stop, but that leaves the spindle to coast to a stop with no VFD braking, which isn't necessarily ideal in an emergency situation. The GA500 has a Fast Stop command that can be assigned to one of the seven digital inputs, with a deceleration time separate from the normal run/stop settings, that when activated will override any run command and aggressively brake the motor. There are actually two seperate fast stop commands, one Fast Stop Normally Open (N.O.) and Fast Stop Normally Closed (N.C.) that differ only in how "active" is defined. The N.O. command is active when +24V is applied to the input, causing a fast stop to be executed. The N.O. mode is not recommended by Yaskawa (not sure why it's even in there actually) because if for any reason there's a power supply glitch or the input circuitry on the drive goes wonky it's entirely feasible the drive may not "see" the command. They suggest the N.C. option, which is activated by the lack of +24V on the input, so is more fail-safe. +24VDC from the drive's supply is routed through one contact of the E-Stop to the S7 terminal which will be configured as the Fast Stop N.C. command, so smashing the big red button will stop the motor as fast as possible (after the time period is adjusted appropriately). The fast stop command will remain active until: the motor comes to a stop, the fast stop command is removed (made inactive) and all run commands are removed (made inactive, so move the lever to the stop position). Only then will the drive release from the stop mode and accept a new run command. This to me is acceptable behavior for the E-stop function. The creeping featurism here would be adding a safety relay which has instant acting contacts that will open when the E-stop is punched, and delayed contacts you can adjust to open a specified time after the initial contacts open. That would allow first applying the fast stop command, then waiting for say 1 or 2 (or 1.4) seconds and then applying the Safe Torque Off command through terminals H1 and H2. Technically that would be "safer" in case the drive went really nutz and didn't grok the fast stop command at all, and more levels of redundant safety are almost always better, but I'm leaving that for version two after I learn more about what else I may want to fiddle with.

While the H1/H2 safe torque off inputs aren't ideal for a simple E-stop scenario with a lathe, what they are ideal for is a lathe with a foot actuated brake that needs the VFD to back off immediately so it's not fighting with the mechanical brake the operator is stomping on vigorously. By running the HC terminal through the foot switch and jumpering H1 to H2, when the brake is not depressed H1 and H2 are connected to HC which is the normal run mode, you could call it Safe Torque Off N.C. When the brake switch is opened for 3ms or more, the drive overrides any run command and enters STO mode where power is removed from the motor which is then left to freewheel to a stop. Once activated, the STO mode will not release (exit, end) until all run commands have been cleared and the STO command on the H1 and H2 terminals is inactive. Note that disconnecting either of H1 or H2 from HC will activate the STO command, so the options are connect one of H1/H2 through the foot switch to common (HC) and the other of those terminals directly to HC, or jumper H1 and H2 together and common (HC) through the foot switch to either of them. Anybody got a coin to flip?

The GA500 has separate Jog Forward and Jog Reverse commands which may be assigned to one of the seven digital inputs. After all of the reading I've done I'm still not sure if the jog commands are considered run commands, or what would happen if you activated a jog command while the spindle was already running (especially if you tried to jog it in the other direction!). They didn't put in a paragraph covering that scenario for me, so it's one of the things I plan on very cautiously checking the functionality of. My idea for eliminating some of the ominous possibilities is to use a signal from the spindle control lever in the Stop position as the +24V source run through the jog swtich, so you can only issue a jog command when the lathe is stopped. That leaves the only question as whether or not you can jog the lathe while the E-stop is activated and the associated Fast Stop command. Maybe someone already knows, but I'll find out eventually and may need to adjust my strategy somewhat. Another reason to adopt the minimalist approach for now. Plus I have to find out if the switch setup on the spindle control can do that or if I need a different one or combination of switches.

For now I'm just going to use the on/off coolant switch that comes on the lathe to drive the coolant pump. I've never had a lathe with coolant capability before so I haven't really needed it, and I don't see a reason to add the automatic coolant-on functionality when the spindle is turning. Maybe I'd want that feature, maybe not. Minimalism and experience for the win again. The relay I have in mind is rated for 6a @ 250VAC, and the other designs I've seen have used overloead relays seet at 0.3A successfully so I'm thinking I'm okay with a relay instead of a contactor. It's easy enough to change if it turns out a contactor is better suited. Any words of wisdom with regard to contactors vs relays, I'd love to hear by the way. Oh, and since I was only using one set of contacts on he E-stop switch, by running the +24V through the second contact to the coolant on/off switch, the coolant relay won't activate unless the E-stop is in the run position, or said differently when you smack the red button the spindle AND the coolant pump will shut off.

As part of the minimalist dogma, I opted to not go with a potentiometer for variable speed control at this time. Odds are I'd leave it at the 60Hz mark most of the time anyway, and without a tach on the spindle which involves an encoder or magnets and a hall-effect sensor and a counter and a timer and a readout and so on (creeping featurism), it can be part of phase 2. For now I'll set the speed control to keypad instead of analog input, and just leave it at 60Hz.

I think that's about it, did I forget anything? I'm not 100% certain until I get hands on the lathe. Once I take out all of the existing control components, all I'll have in there is a disconnect, two circuit breakers, one EMI filter, the VFD and one relay. I believe that will be good enough to some good experience and daydream about the creeping featurism that's always looming just after the next project.

Comments, suggestions, witty rejoinders - all are appreciated.

Back to the drawing board,
-Doug

Last edited:
It is not necessarily knowing how things work to troubleshoot, in particular if you decide to use the stock contactors, but also as you are finding put all the parts to make it work as such. You also need to know things like which switches fit behind the front panel, note the orientation. Relays are pretty darn simple, they either work or the do not. Check the voltage or just replace it, the one's I use have MTB's in the millions of cycles. There are function lights, if they do not work then there is no power, so just a simple error check of what is on and what is off.

Semiconductor fuses are normally not used for small scale VFD's as the cost of fixing is usually more than a replacement. On smaller VFD's even with semiconductor fuses, chances are they will not save the drive. If you have a branch circuit protection meeting the VFD specifications you do not necessarily need to use fuses in the VFD cabinet. Braking resistor does not get hot in this application so no need to have a thermistor drop out a power contactor, there are also better ways to stop the VFD w/o dropping the power out. I would review the recommended breakers for different devices, power supplies have high inrush current, the breaker protects the wiring to the power supply, the power supply has a current handling size rating. The type of breaker depends on application, coolant motors should have an overload relay on the coolant contactor (this is already done on the stock control system). Things like shielding and grounding can be variable but control wires are usually shielded twisted bundles (although some cases are twisted pairs), grounded at the VFD cabinet, motor wires at both ends.
1706682882355.png

A Sunmaster 1660 Lathe turnkey system:
Acra 1660TE Lathe Control System 1.jpg

Acra 1660TE Lathe Control System 2.jpg

Acra 1660TE Lathe Control System 3.jpg
Acra 1660TE Lathe Control System 4.jpg

Acra 1660TE VFD Control Cabinet Control System 5.jpg

You also need to know things like which switches fit behind the front panel

Wait, you mean all the new fancy switches I was going to order might not fit? So much for getting everything in here ahead of the lathe... :)

coolant motors should have an overload relay on the coolant contactor

I debated with myself on that, and ended up in an infinite loop. I get that the breaker protects the wiring in that case, and the overload protects the motor from prolonged over-current conditions that may not trip the breaker, but I'm not sure in my personal situation that I care. If the coolant pump is running and I'm nowhere nearby to hear the motor make strange struggling noises or notice the coolant flow getting all wonky on me, then I'm doing it wrong. And if the coolant pump lunches itself entirely then so be it. If it lunches itself and doesn't trip the breaker, then my indication will be the coolant doesn't work. If the coolant pump is even acting up a little bit I'm going to replace it, so again I get that the right way to do it is with an overload relay but being my own customer I promised myself not to gripe at me for just using a breaker. And I can always change my mind later.

I totally do not understand why a semiconductor rated fuse of 150A would be specified where rated input current is 35A and a 40A breaker would suffice. I'm thinking it must have something to do with those fuses being so fast that almost any transient will trip 'em, so you have to way oversize 'em or it'll make you grumpy. It seems like an odd game of raising amperage ratings on crazy fast fuses to save a drive that's probably already gone bad to draw enough current to trip the thing in the first place, and as we learned from the W.O.P.R. sometimes the only way to win is not to play. :)

Edit to add that you do very nice work, sir.

I scoured the GA500 documentation over and over again, and while the minimalist diagram previously posted would indeed provide the expected behavior as it stands by relying on the VFD's internal logic as opposed to external switch and relay logic, the thing I don't like about it is what happens if the VFD loses its mind? After thinking long and hard about it, this is what I came up with...

VFD.png

I'd be happy to describe the thinking, if anybody's interested. The next thing I have to work on though is do I go with a separate VFD cabinet mounted on the back of the lathe or replace the existing cabinet with one that's deeper so the VFD will fit in there. Decisions decisions...

Regards,
-Doug

Okay the major cabinet components are the VFD, the braking resistor, the EMI filter (that thing's huge), three double-pole breakers, a 24VDC power supply, the safety relay, a double-pole relay and a single-pole relay. The factory cabinet is 24Hx20Wx5 deep (inches), and the issue is the VFD is 7" tall, but other than that there's a lot of space in there. Here's a quick CAD mock-up on an actual 24x20x8 cabinet's mounting panel (gotta love Automation Direct's CAD models, and McMaster too) which I'd need to cut out an inch or so on the bottom for where all the cables go through to the lathe. There's open space behind them, so they're not critical and can be moved around a bit.
CabinetLayout.png

As you can see it's not like everything would be crammed in there. I just used blocks sized according to the Power supply, EMI filter (next to the drive) and the two relays as I didn't want to hunt for exact models. The braking resistor is mounted to the side of the cabinet, not just floating in space. It could probably fit on the removable panel too. Height is fine for the VFD even with the panel on the standoffs, the cabinet body is turned off in this image.

Therefore, it seems a shame to add a second cabinet and drill it in to the back of the lathe, just to hold the VFD. Putting the breakers, EMI filter, VFD and the 24V power supply in there would leave the big cabinet practically empty. The factory cabinet is mounted to an upside-down "L" bracket which is bolted to the lathe base, there's one bolt in to the upper-left corner of what would be the headstock I would imagine, and another bolt from the spindle side of the splash guard with a nut inside of the cabinet. There may be an additional bolt behind the removable panel part, but in any case it shouldn't be an issue to easily remove the existing cabinet and mount a new one that's the same size only deeper, using the existing holes and hardware. I think that's the way to go. I doubt the new cabinet (RAL something or other light gray) will match the PM color exactly, but I'm digitally inclined and artistically challenged anyway so it's not likely to bother me.

Do you always get the feeling you're forgetting something when it comes time to order components like I do? Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

-Doug

Here's a footnote on my tech support diatribe. I emailed Yaskawa tech support Friday night, asking about specifically what happens when jog commands are presented to the drive while a standard run command is active. To my surprise, I received a response Saturday afternoon, so bonus points for being quick. However the response was a link to a "knowledge base" article which I had already seen describing how to use the forward and reverse commands with a separate jog command and had nothing to do with either the Jog Forward or Jog Reverse commands, so it was not useful.

I replied with another request for information on two specific scenarios, detailing the specific command settings for S1-S7 and specifically naming the commands as they are listed in the manual. I had two specific combinations of those commands (Run Fwd and Jog Fwd plus Run Fwd and jog Reverse) and asked for clarification on what the drive's behavior would be for those two instances. That's about as clear as I could make it.

I received a response just now (Monday afternoon), so again credit for speedy responses, but the response said if you apply Jog Fwd and Jog Reverse the drive will shut down because they're different directions. So again, not useful, and that fact is already mentioned in the manual. This in my experience is pretty standard. If you ask a question that's already documented you will get a response based on that documentation. If the reason you're asking is because your question is not documented, then you get some response sort of related to something similar that is documented but it doesn't answer your question. I mean what are they going to do, track down the person who wrote the code for the VFD and ask them? Probably not. If you really want to know you have to find out empirically.

Thus my view of tech support generally not being all that helpful unless you get lucky or ask simple questions you probably could have already found the answer to is reinforced.

-Doug

Last edited:
I totally do not understand why a semiconductor rated fuse of 150A would be specified where rated input current is 35A and a 40A breaker would suffice.
It is a matter of how long the current has to be at that rating before the breaker or fuse trips.

A circuit breaker has a rating curve. The higher the current, the faster it will trip. Ideally a 40A breaker will never trip at 39A. But it might allow 50A for several seconds before tripping. Fuses tend to be much faster at blowing. This can be critical when dealing with semiconductors (such as in VFDs) because they don't handle even very brief overcurrent values. Breakers and fuses essentially rely on heat, although breakers may also use magnetics. So it comes down to how long the heat source (electrical current) has to be at that intensity before things heat up enough to trip or blow. So the issue is that your 40A breaker may allow more than 150A very briefly, but long enough to damage something in the VFD, whereas the 150A fuse would be more likely to protect the VFD. Of course, you weigh the cost of the VFD and likelyhood of having to replace it, vs the cost of fuses in your design. The VFD manufacturer obviously prefers you to put in fuses to reduce warranty claim issues.

I haven't researched it extensively, but there are Z curve breakers that are suppose to be fast enough for semiconductor protection.

Last edited:
It is a matter of how long the current has to be at that rating before the breaker or fuse trips.

A circuit breaker has a rating curve. The higher the current, the faster it will trip. Ideally a 40A breaker will never trip at 39A. But it might allow 50A for several seconds before tripping. Fuses tend to be much faster at blowing. This can be critical when dealing with semiconductors (such as in VFDs) because they don't handle even very brief overcurrent values. Breakers and fuses essentially rely on heat, although breakers may also use magnetics. So it comes down to how long the heat source (electrical current) has to be at that intensity before things heat up enough to trip or blow. So the issue is that your 40A breaker may allow more than 150A very briefly, but long enough to damage something in the VFD, whereas the 150A fuse would be more likely to protect the VFD. Of course, you weigh the cost of the VFD and likelyhood of having to replace it, vs the cost of fuses in your design. The VFD manufacturer obviously prefers you to put in fuses to reduce warranty claim issues.

I haven't researched it extensively, but there are Z curve breakers that are suppose to be fast enough for semiconductor protection.

Ah, so as usual, I had a partially correct guess. It does make sense that the manufacturers would be interested in not hearing that their VFD blew up. Thank you for the enlightenment!

Cheers,
-Doug

So everyone was wondering how I was getting on with things. Okay that's not likely, but here's a summary anyway :)

Here's how the front switch panel ended up. I ditched the power light for an illuminated start button and went with a jog joystick type thing as @mksj has done. I added two N.C. contacts to the jog selector, and in the original position of the jog button it wouldn't quite fit due to the castings behind the panel, so I moved it to the left and slid the E-Stop and Start buttons to the right. It was a little tight (those Automation Direct modular contacts aren't small) but fits fine. The E-stop illuminates when it's "stopped", goes off when it's released, and the start button lights up if none of the switches including the jogs are calling for motion and the cover is in place over the drive belts and gears when pressed. The safety relay takes care of monitoring the E-Stop and Start circuits for faults, and in fact I had two wires on the wrong E-Stop terminals and the relay griped at me about it.

IMG_1561.jpg

Not overly exciting really, but it all works as intended, and it's not possible to leave the machine in a state where when power is applied it starts moving. Punching the E-Stop causes the safety relay to issue a fast stop command which stops the spindle from full speed (with no material in the chuck) in one second without fault or any excess heat or craziness. I have the normal acceleration and deceleration times at 3 seconds for now, those are easy enough to tweak but so far I don't see a need to make the machine work any harder. After a 2 second delay, the safety relay then puts the VFD in Safe Disable (Safe Torque Off) mode just in case it was feeling independent. You have to then release the E-Stop button (twist it), and press the Start button - which will not engage the start circuit unless all switches are idle (not requesting motion).

Using the foot brake puts the VFD directly into Safe Torque Off mode where it will coast to a stop, and you can lean on the mechanical brake as much as you like. The VFD will not exit Safe Torque Off mode until you remove all motion commands, which would usually be moving the control lever from Fwd or Rev to Stop (and not be leaning on the jog switch). The coolant pump relay will also not energize unless the start circuit is active, for whatever that's worth. I tried everything I could think of to get the lathe to do something unexpected, but it doesn't. Even at high speed, moving the control lever from Fwd directly to Rev ramps the spindle to a stop over 3 seconds, then accelerates in reverse over 3 seconds. It's like the folks that designed it have some experience with machinery or something.

The control cabinet I swapped in is similar size to the original, but deeper at about 8". It's a slightly different shade of gray but it's close enough for me (digitally inclined, artistically challenged). I used a couple of big magnets to hold it flush with the top of the headstock casting (a trick I learned from someone aligning leaves in a table saw table) then built a bracket out of angle steel for it to sit on. The new cabinet was only a half inch or so shorter than the original cabinet, but I wanted my cables to come out the bottom not the back so I'll repurpose the original bent metal bracket for some other project. I also added a disconnect to the side of the new cabinet for convenience. The DRO is powered directly off the 240VAC, I 3D printed a small try for the included angle mounting bracket to sit in so it won't scratch the top of the cabinet, and put some soft rubber "tape" squares I had on-hand from another project to keep it from scooting around. It's the MagXact II from QMT, and it's fairly hefty so it stays put well. I intend to build some sort of tray on top of the headstock as others have done, and add a shelf along the top of the splash guard, so the current DRO and work lamp setup is temporary. I took the work lamp apart and checked out the little circuit board inside, which started off with a diode bridge so I figured it'd take 24V AC or DC of either polarity, and that has proven to be correct which is handy because I ditched the AC transformer in the original panel and have just a 24VDC supply.

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

Yes, I am a horrible welder! It's nothing that a few thousand hours of practice can't solve though...

My objective with the control panel was to keep all of the high voltage AC on the right-hand side, leaving the left side for 24VDC logic levels and also to reserve some space for a future project to install a control computer for digital fun. It was my first control panel design, and what I found was things were pretty self-evident until I got to the unknown controller of unknown size. In trying to make sure I left as much space as possible for all the unknowns, I cramped the safety relay a bit with one DIN rail. It's not horrible, I worked around it, but generally speaking you need to keep anything taller than your wire duct a minimum of an inch away from said wire duct or it becomes a real pain to get the covers on and off. Lesson learned, along with more space is always better. The brake resistor (is HUGE!) is mounted on the left inside of the cabinet. The screws I used have pretty standard profile heads and there's a bit of a gap in there between the backsplash and the cabinet where they have a piece of sheet metal attached to the headstock, so it all worked out.

IMG_1565.jpg

The brake resistor needed some wire lengthening, so I put some quick disconnect terminals in there which are the shrink tube type, but there was possibly a very small distance from terminal metal to the cabinet surface so I wrapped things up in electrical tape just to be sure. Splices would not have had the same issue so perhaps some day I'll change it around, but that's the explanation for the electrical tape front and center there.

That's pretty much it. It wasn't nearly as fraught with peril as I thought it might be once I started learning. Even programming the VFD was pretty straight-forward, the static auto-tune worked well, and I bumped the carrier frequency up to 12.5kHz to keep it quiet - and it is quiet except for a couple of seconds at the beginning of a jog which isn't a big deal. I only ended up changing a handful of default values, there's no need to fear huge parameter lists. Actually the worst part of the whole thing besides the cleaning, was changing the oil after the break-in. I made a "trough" out of a heavy duty aluminum roasting pan, to guide the oil to a jug, and that worked fine for the lower gearbox. But the headstock, no matter what I did the oil ran down the face of where the drain plug is and spread out along the side and basically went around the lip I had put on the trough. It was a full Exxon Valdez experience. And so I got to re-clean that end of the lathe. I took the opportunity to add some EZ oil drain valves (1/2" NPT) so next time I just attach a 1/2" ID piece of tubing to the drain valves and drain away with no drama. I also replaced all 3 plastic sight glasses with nice brass ones I picked up from McMaster (3/4" NPT I believe they were). The one on the lower gearbox was cracked and weeping continuously from day one. The one on the headstock was sorta weeping a little bit by comparison and was not cracked it just didn't want to seal. The one on the Apron was also leaking from day 1, and was not cracked but I replaced it as well. When I push on the steel panel on the apron with the legends on it below the sight glass, it would squoosh oil out and it was kind of an ongoing mess. I'm not sure if it was the sight glass itself leaking or something else. There appear to be a lot of penetrations on the apron. I guess I'll find out.

I think that's about it, mission accomplished and next up is milling a T-nut for my giant Aloris toolpost. A special thank-you goes out to @mksj for being such a brainiac and a helpful one at that, and thanks to everyone else who chimed in on the adventure.

Best regards,
-Doug

Back