PM-1660TL

Regarding the headstock alignment, I am going to assume for now that it is A-OK from the factory.

I only have the weekends in November to play with the lathe (I have another project that I have to finish in December ), and I’m trying to get 50 hours on it so that I can change the oil.

She's no longer innocent....

You know the old saying, stuff happens, and by stuff well, you know what I mean ;)
You'll get it.

John

Eric you have enough time at the chuck with this machine, and your other one to start turning it up. It took my 2 years after getting my lath before I had a project that I had to use it. My break-in run following directions, and going to 2000 RPM, I did not want t stand anywhere near it. You need to use the parameters of the material, and the cutters, including tool angles to get the best results. I was writing this as you were posting. All kinds of things are going to go wrong no matter what. there is a lot going on, some of these dials are too close, and you will grab the wrong one too on occasion. I have ruined a perfect final pass everything right till, I moved and hit the cross feed dial :oops: :rolleyes::burned up:

Last edited:
get the best results. I was writing this as you were posting. All kinds of things are going to go wrong no matter what. there is a lot going on, some of these dials are too close, and you will grab the wrong one too on occasion. I have ruined a perfect final pass evey thing right till I moved and hit the cross feed dial :oops: :rolleyes:

This NEVER happens to us " professionals " . :grin: I will tell anyone that ever crashes a machine . It won't be the first time , and it won't be the last ! If you're not f'n up , you're not learning .

The high RPMs and the lathe dog was certainly not a good combination because it caused vibration above 620 RPM.

I got very used to my PM-1030V, and I am still just a little intimidated by the beast.

I definitely enjoy failing because I always learn something.

I was referring more to working with the chuck....

I don't think I ever had the need for a dog in the lathes , definately in the cylindrical grinders over the years . If I need to turn a whole surface of something , I rough it down to near size and finish it between centers without a drive mechanism .

Back