Pm 25 Vs. Pm 727

I am reviving this old thread to ask a question of PM 25, 30 ,727 owners. I am considering building a base for this mill that is lower than usual. The base would be about 24" high which would put the table at around 32". The plan would be to be seated in front of the mill rather than having to stand. Does anyone see an issue with this? Any other comments on height? I assume ya'll typically stand when operating?
Robert

I don't know, I'm not of fan of sitting while using a lathe or mill or any machinery that requires full attention. Slower to react when sitting if a mishap were to happen. But then again if there's something that prevents you from standing in front of the mill then that is a different story.

Would be cheaper & easier to just get a nice stool for the height you want if you must sit. :dunno:

Bad idea to sit in front of a machine like that. I'm with DarkZero in the concern of not being able to react to a situation should one arise.

What could go wrong with a machine tool in front of your carotid artery?
R

Sitting in front, cranking the X wheel will mean getting up to do it. Ditto the Z axiis.

I have a chair with wheels so I am somewhat mobile even when sitting. I feel like I could reach the x and the y and the z will probably be electric. I'm remain confused about the proper working height. The PM mills have a table height on the factory stand of about 36". That seems low to me for standing. I was thinking about more like 42" off the floor for the table?
And while we are talking about these mills, does anyone have the power x feed made for PM and if so how is it? Should I get that or go to another brand for that component?
Robert

Last edited:
Hi rwm, I have the power x feed from PM on my PM30, and it works fine. As it comes from PM, it has an adapter that clamps on the left end of the table. It worked, but was slightly noisy depending on how you adjusted the adapter bolts. It also made cleaning out that left end "tray" difficult.
I replaced that clamping arrangement with a new table end that the power feed bolts directly to. It's much quieter now and seems to run smoother. I guess I ought to get busy one of these days and post some pictures of the changes I've made to the PM30 since I got it.
Steve

Yes! Post so pics. I want to see that power feed setup.
I notice the PM power feed is sold by Shars under a different name.
Robert

I considered the PM-25 and went with the PM-27V with DRO. The kicker was the variable speed option that gave a higher RPM and easier speed changes. That was six months ago. I also got the stand and found that it was too low for my liking. Wound up welding on 3" tubing and leveling feet to get better height. The DRO is worth its cost. Did not get the X power feed and regret that decision. Will be getting it later this year. I do use a stool when doing repetitive operations, such as cutting gears.

Reactions: rwm
I considered the PM-25 and went with the PM-27V with DRO. The kicker was the variable speed option that gave a higher RPM and easier speed changes. That was six months ago. I also got the stand and found that it was too low for my liking. Wound up welding on 3" tubing and leveling feet to get better height. The DRO is worth its cost. Did not get the X power feed and regret that decision. Will be getting it later this year. I do use a stool when doing repetitive operations, such as cutting gears.
This is currently on backorder. Are you happy with the factory install of the DRO? Did they do a nice job with the install details?
Robert

Back