[4]

PM-30mv - Acorn, Arizona99 CNC kit, Clearpath Servo build

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Paul Bird

Registered
Thought I would start a build thread for sharing information and for suggestions from this community. I ordered a PM-30mv on January 29th and it shipped on February 7. It will be broken down, cleaned and assembled from the get go with a CNC kit. Eventually I will be putting a power drawbar on this mill along with some form of automatic tool changer.

CNC Conversion Kit:
Arizona99 (David Clements)

Controller:
Centroid Acorn w/wireless pendant

Servos:
Clearpath 3432ELS for Z
Clearpath 3421ELS for X&Y

Power Supplies:
Clearpath IPC-5 for Z
Clearpath IPC-5 shared for X&Y

Tooling:
Tormach Tooling System

Coolant:
Fogbuster - Single 1/2 Gallon kit with solenoid

Touch Sensor:
??? Leaning toward a Hallmark ITTP

Pictures of Electronics and mill unboxing to follow.

Paul Bird

Landmark

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I'm happy to see that you got your mill and hit the ground running. I was wondering if you tried the drawbar before before tearing it down? I have read in another thread about some users having trouble with the drawbar being really tight in the spindle. I thought it was just an isolated incident but when I tried to mount the TTS collet I couldn't get the drawbar to go all the way down and screw into the collet. I fooled around with it and found that the shoulder below the head of the drawbar was binding with the spindle cap. If I remove the spindle cap it works fine. The drawbar fits into the spindle cap fine if it is removed from the mill. So it seems that something is off center.

Do you have an ETA on the CNC kit?

Mark

Paul Bird

Registered
I have fit the Tormach R8 to TTS adapter. The only issue I had was the pin to indicate the R8 collet was too long. I used a large screwdriver to push the pin in slightly which allowed the tts adapter to fit. I haven't checked the drawbar but I will tonight.

No kit yet from Arizona99.

Landmark

Thanks Paul. It's not a big deal since the drawbar and possibly the spindle cap will be replace with the PDB install. But I may contact PM support to see what they say. I look forward to seeing your conversion progress.

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I am in the middle of a CNC conversion with Clearpath servos but using a Masso controller. I cant wait to see your progress...

I thought about using Tormach TTS tool holders but now I have decided to use ER32 Collet holders with a 3/4" R8 collet...

I'm going to cut the 6" shank down to about 3"....

Paul Bird

Registered
Got an email back from Dave (Arizona99) and he is close. He said the parts should be done next week.

Paul

Landmark

Got an email back from Dave (Arizona99) and he is close. He said the parts should be done next week.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Did you ever receive the conversion parts from Arizona99?

arizonavideo

Registered
I know someone else who was getting parts from the same guy (for the PM-940 though) and it was "almost done, should be next week" for like 8 months...

Paul's PM-30 kit was delivered a few days ago. It is a new kit and there has been a back order for the units. It is new so getting them out takes more time than a kit like the PM-25 that I have been making for years.

A example of a little thing is the couplers. I had been using 30mm couplers and most of the steppers had 1/2" or 3/8" shafts 25mm long. Well now everyone want the closed loop or servos that have longer 14mm shafts. The would not work without cutting the shafts with the 30mm couplers.

I ordered 35mm couplers but they have a really long wait time. So I re did all the drive size mounts to take 40mm couplers which are easier to get.

Re doing all the parts to get that fixed does take time.

The kit is now shipping and I can do 35mm or 40mm couplers and Nema 23 or 34 for the X and Y and all the couplers are in hand.

Just a example of one little thing that makes shipping a kit not so easy.

The PM940 is much the same story. It is now regularly shipping. 8 months ago would have been the first or second kit. I made each part one at a time and a few changes needed to be made. Now I'm mostly ramped up for both the kits.

Thanks
Dave AKA arizonavideo99

shooter123456

Paul's PM-30 kit was delivered a few days ago. It is a new kit and there has been a back order for the units. It is new so getting them out takes more time than a kit like the PM-25 that I have been making for years.

A example of a little thing is the couplers. I had been using 30mm couplers and most of the steppers had 1/2" or 3/8" shafts 25mm long. Well now everyone want the closed loop or servos that have longer 14mm shafts. The would not work without cutting the shafts with the 30mm couplers.

I ordered 35mm couplers but they have a really long wait time. So I re did all the drive size mounts to take 40mm couplers which are easier to get.

Re doing all the parts to get that fixed does take time.

The kit is now shipping and I can do 35mm or 40mm couplers and Nema 23 or 34 for the X and Y and all the couplers are in hand.

Just a example of one little thing that makes shipping a kit not so easy.

The PM940 is much the same story. It is now regularly shipping. 8 months ago would have been the first or second kit. I made each part one at a time and a few changes needed to be made. Now I'm mostly ramped up for both the kits.

Thanks
Dave AKA arizonavideo99
Then why don't you tell people that? You told him next week, then he gets his kit 2 months later? Next week and 8 weeks are very different.

Landmark

Paul, I'm happy to see that you received your conversion kit. How does it look? Please post some pictures if you can.

Paul Bird

Registered
I got my parts a couple weeks ago. They look great but the X ballscrew setup didn't fit. My later sample from PM had a thicker top table than Dave's which caused the problem. I have sent those parts back and Dave and I will be working to get it right. Stay tuned.

Landmark

I ordered a kit from Dave on the 14th and he had me measure the table thickness. Mine is the thinner one the he originally made the kit for. It's strange the we got our mills at the same time but have different tables. Mine has a date stamp of 7/2018. What is your date?

[6]
[5] [7]