PM-727M or PM-932M - help me decide

Also, my idea of picking it up to save on shipping turns out to be pointless because then I would have to pay PA sales tax, which is high.
My understanding is if you pay for it first with a delivery address out of state and you pick it up that you do not pay sales tax. Another out od state individual who just purchased a lathe from another vendor just did this. The delivery address must be out of state, and already paid for. This may vary by vendor. What I had heard was the price changes were based on new inventory coming in, also experienced this with a few other machine vendors who all have had 5-10% price increases this year. There was also previous posting of the increases from QMT.

You will be limited in the top end speed by the spindle bearings used, so they would needed to be changed for the higher speeds, I figure anything above 4-5K RPM. CNC uses smaller cutters to achieve the profiling needed, the spindle speed would dictate the transit times for material removal. A lighter weight CNC machine will have less moving mass and use smaller stepping motors, but you give up some rigidity. Lots to think about, really depends on the type and size of the work you plan on doing. If CNC is far down the road then I would lean to the bigger is better, if sooner than the PM-30V may be a better candidate with very good working parameters (X, Y, Z) and not having to deal with the belt drive conversion.

Well, I just put a deposit on the 30MV, due to arrive in about 8 weeks. The price increase was annoying but I think I will like the machine.
Freakin AWESOME I'm so pumped for ya! Ya, sucks that $100, but hey, I'm positive you'll love the machine. I think I will have to order before that 8 weeks is up, I've just got a hunch LOL. Hey I know, I'll pick her up for ya and "test her out" <wink><wink>
Did you get any accy's and/or the stand?

Did you get any accy's and/or the stand?
I didn't get a stand (will make my own) but I did get a chuck and vise. Matt didn't seem to think it was all that important to get the ultra precision versions, so I went with the 1/8-5/8 high-precision chuck and a 5" high-precision vise. I also got some R8 collets, a clamping kit, and end mills. Everything I should need to get started. I'm excited. I can easily fill the 8 weeks with my other recent additions (10x22 lathe, plasma cutter, 4x6 bandsaw, TIG welder).

I didn't get a stand (will make my own) but I did get a chuck and vise. Matt didn't seem to think it was all that important to get the ultra precision versions, so I went with the 1/8-5/8 high-precision chuck and a 5" high-precision vise. I also got some R8 collets, a clamping kit, and end mills. Everything I should need to get started. I'm excited. I can easily fill the 8 weeks with my other recent additions (10x22 lathe, plasma cutter, 4x6 bandsaw, TIG welder).

Hmmmm, 5" huh? All this time I was assuming the 4" was the size for these bench mills, is 5" still not too big? I'm not doubting your decision, I'm just not as far along as you are in this process.

Seriously??? Any ONE of those 8 week time fillers would be perfect for me! That lathe and TIG have me drooling!

Hmmmm, 5" huh? All this time I was assuming the 4" was the size for these bench mills, is 5" still not too big? I'm not doubting your decision, I'm just not as far along as you are in this process.

Seriously??? Any ONE of those 8 week time fillers would be perfect for me! That lathe and TIG have me drooling!

If 5” is too big, I’d much rather know now before it’s too late! Please, people, tell me. Maybe I should look at dimensions and how it fits on the table.

Yes, my shop has taken some big steps forward recently. It will be a while before I fully develop my competence at it all. Hopefully having the ability to do a wide range of things will encourage me to start certain projects.

I have the PM932 which has a 9” deep table almost identical to the 8.25” table on your MV30. I have a 5 inch vise and wouldn’t recommend going smaller. I know some guys here have a 6” inch vise on similar size machines. You’ll have some overhang in either case but I haven’t found that to be an issue at all.
4A0E748B-6209-463C-8659-25030751A3A7.jpeg
44B158BD-95F6-4C28-8204-BF0A1E233DF0.jpeg

I have the PM932 which has a 9” deep table almost identical to the 8.25” table on your MV30. I have a 5 inch vise and wouldn’t recommend going smaller. I know some guys here have a 6” inch vise on similar size machines. You’ll have some overhang in either case but I haven’t found that to be an issue at all.

Good to know, thanks for the education :)

Back