PM-833TV power switch...

There's also these that can be wired right into the machine control box...............not sure how robust they are.
71m+y8jQxKL._SL1500_.jpg

I wired a 240v wall switch before my outlet and use that to turn it on/off.
What gauge wire do you have running to your switch? My 30 amp circuit to my mill has 10 gauge wire. Wondering if a 240v wall switch will accommodate 10 gauge copper?

I honestly don’t remember but I do believe I ran 10 since I had to run it a decent distance.

There's also these that can be wired right into the machine control box...............not sure how robust they are. View attachment 364502
Those above switches are rated for 30Amp 250Volt so should be stought enough for such a load. An enclosure would be necessary and the stabs are nominal, but is perfectly satisfactory. You refer to switching the breaker on/off as "hillbillyish". It's much more derogatory than that, a circuit breaker degrades slightly every time it is cycled. It is NOT a good practice to do so.

A 2 pole switch for household use is available that is rated at 20 Amps. It is NOT recommended for "inductive" loads but would be better than cycling the circuit breaker. On a 120 Volt circuit, the 2 pole is not really needed, but having it in place for later transition to 240Volts would be worth the extra buck or two cost.

A 30Amp fusable switch would be a little overkill for a home shop. If any switch is truely rated for 30Amps, it should accept AWG10 wire. The stabs on the illustrated switches look to be 1/4 inch quick disconnect. The proper female part should be properly installed, not just closed with pliers.

Why are you running a 30 amp circuit? The mill needs 9 amps at full load. Theoretically you could get by with 14 gauge. I ran 12 to mine.

. If any switch is truly rated for 30Amps, it should accept AWG10 wire. The stabs on the illustrated switches look to be 1/4 inch quick disconnect. The proper female part should be properly installed, not just closed with pliers.
When you say not just closed with pliers are you talking about soldering as well? As far as a 30 amp wall switch......this is the one I was looking at.
61xLqGbE8PL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I would put spade connector on the end of the wire, crimp it an be done.
I will wait for the crimp vs solder debate to begin....

in high heat situations, a solder joint may fail.
under the same circumstances, a crimped joint will not fail

Back