PM-836S

Do you have collets ?
There are some good videos on youtube on how to make one.
Just size it to your chosen collet.
Mine are 3/4 and 1/2.

So I have some Christmas money to spend on the mill. If y’all had $500 to 600 to spend would y’all go for a Kurt DX6, power feed for the X axis or a DRO (figure I might have to save more for a DRO).

Thanks for any advice

Just my .02 on this. Yes to all.

You will be able to find lots of discounts on stuff if you look around. Currently promo code L on Travers will give a discount up to 25% on some items.
DX-6 is good vise in my opinion, I have one on my Bridgeport and am very happy with it. If had a good or decent vise I might want to get the DRO first but if I needed a vise the DX-6 would be the way I would try and go.

DRO, absolutely yes. Several here will chime in that have bought from EBAY and are happy, I looked at many options and when I was ready I just called DRO PRO'S. I would suggest you give them a call and just ask about after Christmas sales. I called them last year just before Thanksgiving and asked about black Friday sales early. Dan advised what they were going to do and offered to old one for me so I could just call on Friday to complete my purchase. I received a really great deal from them. The support is great and their warranty is now lifetime.

Power feed is also something I have but out of your list it would be the last of your 3 upgrades.

I’m trying to adjust the table’s backlash. I’m having a hard time finding a video on YouTube of how to adjust one like mine. Any advice would be appreciated.
6CFA378C-B2C0-4022-A43F-852ABB9751C7.jpeg

Attachments

• 0D8DCFC0-49EF-423B-92ED-C3268984FC7F.jpeg
    0D8DCFC0-49EF-423B-92ED-C3268984FC7F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
PM occasionally gets machines from their manufactures to evaluate to see if they fit in their marketplace.

I have a one off PM-932D heavy duty drill press. Got it for a great price but no warranty. Grizzly has an identical model, just different paint, so it appears it was from the same factory.

Look at Grizzly and other import brands for a similar mill and compare the parts schematics. Good chances of finding a match.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I’m trying to adjust the table’s backlash. I’m having a hard time finding a video on YouTube of how to adjust one like mine. Any advice would be appreciated. View attachment 351693
Looks like a split bronze nut. Tightening the setscrews on each side should reduce the backlash. Don't go crazy, manual machines should always have some backlash. It doesn't really matter until you hit CNC.

What would be a goal to shoot for as far as what is acceptable backlash? Right now it’s at .007 backlash. It’s a one off machine so I have no reference. Maybe something similar to a Bridgeport’s specs?
I’m completely new to machine so I really appreciate the advice.

Back